Thread: Cannot send mail. Error 0x800CCC0E

Cannot send mail. Error 0x800CCC0E

Whenever I try to send an email using outlook express, I get the error message such as - Connection to server failed, account mail.xxxxxxx.net,protocol SMTP port 25,socket error 10060, error # 0x800ccc0e

This only happens when I am on this laptop. (wired or wireless) same thing. I can receive email, just cant send. I have the exact same email settings in tools, accounts, properties as I have on my desktop. It works just fine. I have tried several of MS work arounds in their knowledge base. It seems this started a couple days ago when I re-setup my wireless network.

Any suggestions from anyone??

Re: Cannot send mail. Error 0x800CCC0E

You won't be able to send messages from your own email account while using another ISP, which assumably you are using on other's PC.

If you've set up your account details in Windows Mail you might be able to receive messages. The best way is to use the web mail facilities of your ISP and read, reply to, send messages via the web, not an email client.

Don't really know what causes the error, but check your smtp server settings and make sure they are correct, especially with regards to the security settings. Try to use SSL or TLS or No encryption. I haven't used Windows Mail yet, but you should be able to tweak those settings. Avoid No if possible. Those settings might be somewhere in the advanced section of the setup page.

The problem with traveling away from home is that the service providing your temporary connection to the Internet is not going to let you connect to your home ISP's SMTP server on port 25. This is known as a port 25 block, and is a common anti-spam measure throughout the ISP industry.

If your home ISP does not offer SMTP on an alternate port (other than 25), then you should get a free account with Gmail and use it for your travel sending chores. Gmail does SMTP on port 465.

I suddenly cannot send. Cannot think of anything I've done to change this. Worked until a couple of days ago. Similar error message as Corona:

The connection to the server has failed. Subject 'Re: Is it my breath?', Account: 'pop.netzero.com', Server: 'authsmtp.netzero.com', Protocol: SMTP, Port: 25, Secure(SSL): No, Socket Error: 10060, Error Number: 0x800CCC0E

If you have email scanning enabled in your antivirus program try disabling it - it serves no useful purpose.

Go to Tools -> Accounts -> Mail - highlight your account -> Properties -> Servers Tab. Under 'Outgoing mail server', check that the box 'My server requires authentication' is checked.

Create a new identity on the laptop and set up the same email account and see if that works - your current identity may be corrupted.