Thread: Blue Screen of Death Caused by tdx.sys in Windows 7 Beta

Blue Screen of Death Caused by tdx.sys in Windows 7 Beta

I have Windows 7 Beta installed on my machine. I have Avast installed. I get a BSOD that reports a problem with tdx.sys after about watching or listening to songs. Please help me.

Re: Blue Screen of Death Caused by tdx.sys in Windows 7 Beta

Hopefully this post will help fix your issue.

I have Windows 7 installed on two laptops. One is a Dell Latitude D803 and the other a HP Compaq 6710b. Both would BSOD approximately every 5 minutes. 'TDX.SYS' was the culprit. After running WinDBG I noticed that it was a issue with my network adapter driver 'b57nd60a.sys'. Both laptops have the same network adapter (Broadcom NetLink Gigabit Ethernet) and both were crashing (x32 & x64 versions). I finally went to Broadcom's website and found drivers at the following links:

Broadcom Corporation - Download NetLink Drivers

or

Broadcom Corporation - Download NetLink Drivers

If one doesn't work then the other will work. Basically when 'TDX.SYS' causes a BSOD it is usually the result of a driver(s) (and some antivirus apps) that aren't fully compatible with Windows 7. You should run WinDBG and find out what driver is causing the error. It's not as hard as you think!

Microsoft's site for using WinDBG:

How to read the small memory dump files that Windows creates for debugging

P.S. Don't worry if you can't get the symbols to install properly. You should still see the file that is probably causing the error listed. If you Google the file(s) you will be on your way to fixing the issue.
    DFI LANPARTY SLI-DR
    AMD 64 x2 4800+
    OCZ (2 x 512) DDR600

tdx.sys errors are related to network drivers. This error has been caused by some non-win& compliant Anti-virus programs. I'm using Nod32 and haven't had a problem.

Uninstall your virus prog - if that doesn't work, you may have to reinstall Win7 - but don't install any anti-virus for a day or two to check that it's stable.

Resolving the tdx.sys blue screen
    The first thing you want to do is upgrade your network card drivers to the latest version. This probably wont help; but it’s a good idea to use the latest drivers anyway to fix any related issues.

Secondly, upgrade your anti-virus software to the Windows 7 Beta compatible version; AVG has it’s own Windows 7 compatible versions (not AVG free!) as well as a few other AV’s. This is all good if you use premium or commercial AV software and if you have the right licenses; but this probably wont help you if you only use free AV software.

Note: McAfee & tdx.sys
    For some reason, McAfee doesn’t appear to be listed as effected by the tdx.sys issue; this might just be the fact that home users using McAfee don’t report this issue; however I have seen a number of machines accessing network drives with McAfee installed and there has been no tdx.sys error.

Thirdly; if you can afford to uninstall your anti-virus program; do it. But don’t go visiting any unreliable websites without your AV software; as that will probably cause more issues than it’s worth to get your network drives working with Windows 7. If you’re using Norton, then you’re probably going to want to uninstall it anyway, as it’s a pretty offensive piece of software.

Most wireless network adapters and connections are affected by this issue; try updating your wireless drivers and where possible, uninstall any AV software.

Lastly; if you really need to use your network drives, and you only have wired connectivity, then I suggest you return to XP or Vista and wait until Microsoft releases a hotfix for this issue or until some clever fellow with too much time (albeit a good use of time) creates his or her own fix and distributes it.

For more information go to this site.