Thread: Download Debian 5.0 Lenny

Download Debian 5.0 Lenny

In the world of Linux, some distributions have a greater impact than others when new versions appear. This is the case of Debian, whose philosophy of building and influence are different from many other systems. We must say that Debian is the source of many other distributions, including the famous Ubuntu. Developers taking the time to achieve the objectives, we understand that the release of a new major version is still a small event.

Debian 5.0, aka Lenny, is now available after nearly two years of development. Unlike many other distributions, the goal of Debian is never to offer the latest editions of software and components typically found in distributions. Debian is focused on a coherent, even if it does not satisfy the new fans. It remains of course possible to update its system.

Item Package by recent ultra -
    Also, where there are now KDE 4.2 and GNOME 2.24 almost everywhere, both environments are only versions 2.22 and 3.5.10 with Debian 5.0. The choice is especially significant for KDE, since the developers are still waiting before making the leap to version 4. Other environments that can be installed include XFCE 4.4.2 and LXDE 0.3.2.1.

Here is a list of the main novelties:
    • Kernel 2.6.26
    • X.org Server 7.3
    • OpenOffice.org 2.4.1
    • GIMP 2.4.7
    • Iceweasel 3.0.6 (for 100% free Firefox)
    • Icedove 2.0.0.19 (for 100% free Thunderbird)
    • PostgreSQL
    • MySQL 5.0.51a
    • GCC 4.3.2
    • Apache 2.2.9
    • Samba 3.2.5
    • Python 2.5.2 and 2.4.6
    • Perl 5.10.0
    • PHP 5.2.6
    • Asterisk 1.4.21.2
    • Emacs 22
    • Inkscape 0.46
    • Nagios 3.06
    • Xen 3.2.1
    • OpenJDK 6b11
    • Automation & Security

Under "ease of use" has been expanded through the addition of various media such as automatic hardware configuration via X.org 7.3 and the full support of NTFS. The management of keyboards was improved with the support of almost all the multimedia specific buttons, while the distribution should work better on laptops due to the adjustment of the native frequency of the processor.

Security side, some choices were made so that the user is better protected "by default", ie with the initial settings. For example, the end of installing the system downloads and installs the latest security updates even before the first reboot. The number of software components and using the privileges of root was reduced and the number of ports open standard is less important. Several packages have been compiled with the options of strengthening GCC, and several applications were given additional protections (Apache compiled with Suhosin hardening patch for example).

Supported Architectures and Downloads
    One of the major features of Debian is its large number of architectures supported: Sun SPARC (sparc), HP Alpha (alpha), Motorola / IBM PowerPC (powerpc), Intel IA-32 (i386) and IA-64 ( ia64), HP PA-RISC (hppa), MIPS (mips, mipsel), ARM (arm, Armel), IBM S/390 (s390) and AMD64 and Intel EM64T (amd64).

Downloading Debian 5.0 may be done in several ways. On different servers, you will find pictures CD, DVD, CD or Live images of type "net install (minimal system for selecting packages to install from the Internet). The simplest is to choose among the possibilities on this page, all the explanations given for each media type.

Re: Download Debian 5.0 Lenny

If you want to obtain Debian GNU/Linux on CD, see below for the available options. In case of problems,

Download a minimal bootable CD image. Are you sure you really need the full CDs? You can just get the basic installation system - it will download the rest of the distribution if and when needed during the installation.

Buy finished Debian CD-ROMs. They are cheap - we do not make any profit with them! If your Internet connection is charged by the minute, this is your only choice. You might also consider buying the CDs if you only have a modem, as downloading the images via modem takes days.

Download CD/DVD images with jigdo. The "jigdo" scheme allows you to pick the fastest out of 300 Debian mirrors worldwide for your download. It features easy mirror selection and "upgrading" of older images to the latest release. Also, it is the only way to download Debian DVD images for all architectures.

Download CD/DVD images with BitTorrent. The Bittorrent peer to peer system lets many users cooperatively download images at the same time, with minimal load on our servers. DVD images are only available for some architectures.

Download CD/DVD images using HTTP or FTP. Due to space and bandwidth constraints, only very few mirrors are able to supply direct HTTP/FTP download links. These sites may use bandwidth throttling, downloads can be quite slow. Please use jigdo or bittorrent instead. DVD images are only available for some architectures and not on all mirrors.

Debian is available for different computer architectures - make sure you are getting images that match your computer! (Most people will need images for "i386", i.e. Intel systems.) Once you have created your own CDs, you might be interested in the artwork for covers of Debian CDs.

Bravo for compatibility with many platforms. Are there any returns on the speed of execution on the CPU MIPS or ARM, which are not as powerful as some other classes? Not bad for users looking for maximum stability. I must be evil because I am now more in search of bleeding edge distro like Arch, or, to a lesser extent, Fedora. But is it worth it, Linux, there's choice in the distro, and there's something for all tastes.

Happiness of reliability this distro, the baseline for servers and machines rock-steady I think my server will spend this year (still currently running Ubuntu Server, since its installation two years ago), but I need motivation to migration, a server when it runs well, has bothered to hit

Releasing a new Debian, it is always a great moment, it's so seldom that it happens The thing with Debian is that whatever the distrib on which runs Debian has a fairly large impact on the Linux world as it is much used on the server and it is just the basis of some Ubuntu. In my 15 promo on it is 5 to be almost permanently nunux, there are 2 Gentoo, an Arch, a Mandriva and Ubuntu. We love Debian has varying degrees but we respect it more or less, and that's baleze

Hum, Debian, is it really suitable for use every day? I often read that it was complicated to use, the need often make manips command line hack or in configuration files ... Not that my Mandriva is unstable, but Debian has the air of being more efficient. Against by good, I am disappointed that the Live-CD will not install ... damage, mùais I will not use a CD just to test a non-installable distrib ...

I reacted a bit late but good. Must agree with AC, it is absolutely not true. Except for a few packages such as openoffice or kdelibs, any way that we do not recompile every day, if you configure port of compilations are not as long as ca, far from it. Moreover, nothing prevents you from your script update to be done at night, sending you the report by mail / pdf / Do-you-want, and then stops becuase if you do not want that it runs all night. You can also configure port to the compilation runs low priority and thus let in background without suffering the consequences.