Thread: STOP: c000007b {Bad Image}

question STOP: c000007b {Bad Image}

Greetings gentle readers,

Got a strange error on one of the work machines:

STOP: c000007b {Bad Image]
    The application or DLL \??\C:\WINDOWS\system32\USER32.dll is not a valid windows image. Please check this against your installation diskette.

I searched the net, found a similar thread on this site, but no solutions. I have run CHKDSK on the drive from the install disc, it found errors and fixed them all. Then I ran SpinRite in mode 2 and mode 4 and it couldn't find anything wrong with the disk.

I'd like to keep the system as is, if possible. It would be very time-consuming to re-install the OS and then re-install all the software we had on the drive, not to mention all the time involved in backing everything up.

Anyone have any idea how to fix besides a complete re-install?

-Hawk

Dr. V Guest

Re: STOP: c000007b {Bad Image}

'upgrading' to xp from any 9x installation has never been a good idea. backup you personal data and go for a clean installation.

Arrow Re: STOP: c000007b {Bad Image}

Yes, Dr. V, I saw that. But it did not lead to a solution. I thought I'd ask again, in this merry year of 2009. That thread was posted in August of 2006. No luck, however, as it is so rare a problem.

Devasis, this system has been running from day one with Win XP Home. It was running this way for at least 6 years. It had had many different kinds of software installed, many different kinds of firewalls, anti-malware, etc. It seemed to be running okay for me, but I'm guessing something went awry with the last update and perhaps an old DLL got caught in the wrong gear, thus wrecking the machine.

Doesn't matter anymore, I've re-installed from supplied discs. I re-installed over what was there, rather than attempt to back everything up and then format the filesystem. Took all afternoon, but it's a much faster and cleaner system now.

So now, it's only a matter of re-installing the software we had before.

Thanks for your time and replies.

-Hawk
    Last edited by jedihawk; 17-02-2009 at 10:12 AM. Reason: s/Mr/Dr/

I just had this same error happen on one of our office computers about a half hour ago.

By using XP setup CD, get into the repair mode by pressing 'R' when prompted.

Follow any other instructions that you may get until it gives you the C:\> prompt.
    Type in bootcfg /rebuild.

Below is a listing of the common steps you are likely going to encounter.
    • Prompt for the identified versions of Windows installed. When you receive this prompt press Y if the bootcfg command properly identified each of the Windows operating systems installed on the computer. It is important to realize this command will only detect Windows XP, Windows 2000, and Windows NT installations.

• Prompt to enter the load identifier. This is the name of the operating system for the boot.ini. For example, Microsoft Windows XP Home users would enter "Microsoft Windows XP Home edition". If you have Windowx XP pro edition, enter 'Microsoft Windows XP Professional'

• Prompt to Enter OS load options. When this prompt is received type /fastdetect to automatically detect the available options.
      Then type 'exit'. and let the computer reboot. If you get two options for microsoft windows. Choose the one that says what you entered when you were in the recovery console.

If you are able to boot correctly after those steps, go to start>click run. Then type msconfig. Click ok. Click the boot.ini tab. Click 'check all boot paths'. Click ok or yes. click close and restart if prompted. You shouldn't get the prompt for two microsoft windows anymore.

I've fixed my system
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/142676 - Method 1, under Advanced Troubleshooting. The instructions didn't work exactly as written for me, So here's what I did.

1. Insert windows CD, restart computer
    2. Press any key when prompted "press any key to boot from CD"
    3. Once CD is done loading press R to enter recovery console
    4. select which installation to load (it detects my recovery partition as an option)
    5. Here microsoft says to enter: cd %systemroot%\system32 My computer didn't understand that so I used: cd c:\windows\system32
    6. Rename the corrupted file in case you need it later: ren user32.dll user32.bak
    7. Restore the original file from the windows CD to your computer.
    Note at this point my CD drive which is normally E: was appearing as I: to check simply enter cd d: and then dir and see if it has the contents of your CD.
    Now Microsoft said to enter: expand i:\386\user32.dll %systemroot%\system32 /y 1. the file on the CD is called user32.dl_ but it will expand to user32.dll 2. my computer still doesn't understand %systemroot%
    So I enter: expand i:\i386\user32.dl_ c:\windows\system32 /y
    8. type exit to exit (shock) the recovery console

Hopefully everyone who ever has a problem with...
    Stop: c000007b {bad image}
    The application or DLL \??\C:WINDOWS\system32\USER32.dll is not a valid windows image. Please check this against your installation diskette.
    Will find this page, and technical salvation.

Happy computing.

Great to have a solution from you. And you mentioned it precisely and neatly. This will gonna be useful for members with STOP: c000007b {Bad Image} error. I appreciate your effort

ThumbsUp Re: STOP: c000007b {Bad Image}

Yes, thanks for the solution. I didn't get a chance to use it. Instead, I re-installed windows over the existing one, then re-installed the most-used apps. Seems to be running much better than before. I like a new, clean system.

Yes... even I like clean and new system formatted It runs like magic. Only problem is that formatting and reinstallation consumes lot of time and efforts every time some issues occur with my computer. And the last option after trying everything is the format which usually always cures all the problems.