Go Back   TechArena Community > Software > Operating Systems
Become a Member!
Forgot your username/password?
Tags Active Topics RSS Search Mark Forums Read

Old 16-02-2009

XP Pro install freeze at display setting window

I have just built a new system and during the install of XP Pro., the screen displays a window which states "To improve the appearance of visual elements, Windows will automatically adjust your screen resolution." I am not able to move beyond this screen. Pressing "Enter" does nothing and plugging in a mouse to move the cursor over the "OK" button does not allow it to move. I am using an ASUS P5Q-E Mobo and Intel Q9550 CPU. Wondering where to go from here. Thanks.
Old 16-02-2009

Re: XP Pro install freeze at display setting window

I used these instructions to get my pc back up: http://icrontic.com/articles/repair_windows_xp. It worked wonders, but the instructions caution that it works best if the matter is not related to a virus attack. My issue was apparently not a virus attack but software conflicts which I made worse by ignorantly fumbling thru my registry (where I had no business, since my knowledge there is far too limited to be useful). I ended up with "Hive" errors and such once I got McAfee removed. I found this fix via googling for hive error fixes and OS repair suggestions. Maybe this process will help you too.
Old 16-02-2009

Re: XP Pro install freeze at display setting window

Thanks for that suggestion. I went ahead and did a system reset. Windows then did load. I did have to go in and adjust the display properties, but everything seems to be working fine. Not sure why it hung up....

TechArena Community > Software > Operating Systems
Tags: ,