Thread: Problems Reformatting a Bad Hard Drive

Problems Reformatting a Bad Hard Drive

hi there.......

I have an old hard drive and it's too old as i had it in my old machine.
    Now i wanted to make this hard drive for an external use but the problem is it does not support me.....
    I mean i think it has some bad sectors or critical areas which does not allow me to reformat it........

Can anyone suggest me few tips regarding this..............

Re: Problems Reformatting a Bad Hard Drive

The only way formatting a drive normally would be unhealthy would be by formatting it several times a day for a year or two, that might be...stressful...shall we say. Formatting an older drive can be rough on it, since the only thing that puts a drive through a heavier workout is installing programs.

With a healthy drive, the normal "only when necessary" formatting should not be harmful.

I will provide you with this site as it provides steps of how to boot a bad disk:

http://www.everythingcomputers.com/reformat.htm

Bad block or faulty sector is the name given to a damaged area on a hard disk. It is a physical problem, i. e., the hard disk's magnetic media is defective. When we run a disk utility such as Scandisk and Norton Disk Doctor, such faulty sectors are marked with a "B".

Several users have written us asking how to proceed to recover hard disks with bad blocks. Many note that bad blocks disappear after low level formatting the hard disks.

What really happens, however, is that current physical formatting programs do not actually physically format the disk. If this should be feasible, the hard disk would be damaged, since hard disk tracks have a signal called servo that operates as a guide for the hard disk head. If we really formatted a hard disk at low level, these servos would be erased and the hard disk head would be unable to move any longer.

Low level formatting programs are utilities for detecting bad sectors and wiping the disk (for security reasons, for instance, after concluding a confidential project), not carrying out – despite their name – low level formatting.

These programs have an interesting function, which consists of updating the disk's bad sector map. When you use this option, the program scans the disk, seeking defective sectors and updating the disk's map.

When you run a high level formatting (through the Format command), this command skips the sectors contained in this bad sector table. According, there will not be any sector marked B ("Bad Block") in the FAT, although the defective sectors remain on the disk.

Defective sectors are not removed, but merely noted in this table of bad sectors, resulting in the system ignoring them (in other words, the sectors are hidden).

If new bad sectors keep occurring after running this procedure, you should get rid of the disk, as its magnetic surface is deteriorating, for some reason.

I will suggest you to go for one of this software and repair your bad sectors of hard drive and the reformatt:

Disk Repair Software 10.x:

Hard disk drive bad sector repair and removal software tool, bad sectors recovery utility software. Hard disk repair, bad sector, logical bad sector repair tool, disk repair utility, free bad sector removal software, floppy disk repair software, hard disk utility, Track 0 Bad Disks, bad-sector repair utility, partition repair, hard disk recovery, hard drive repair, hdd repair, remove bad sectors, media repairing software tool.

Atrise Find Bad Information 1.1.0:

Atrise FBI (Find Bad Information) is a tool to check your data CD/DVD, flash drive and a dying HDD for bad reading files (soft and true HDD bad blocks, wrong reading, faulty drive/cable, etc. Atrise FBI shows a full path to the current checking file, so it is very useful to find bad files even if your computer get frozen. Simply write a full path to the bad file and restart your computer.

Disk Repair Data Recovery by Unistal 10.x:

Disk Repair is logical bad sector removal and repair software that removes the logical bad sectors and repairs "Track 0 Bad Disks". Bad sectors are a major problem in hard disks, which are found to be mainly logical in nature. Disk Repair is a utility to remove/repairs logically formed bad sectors from Hard Disks and Floppy Disks with FAT12, FAT16, FAT32, VFAT, NTFS and NTFS5 File system and all versions of MS Windows support.

how to make deleted adminstrator user again

hello guys.

i made 4 users in window xp , and after i delet the adminstrator builten user . can any body help me how to make it again ?

Yogesh Guest

Re: how to make deleted adminstrator user again

Quote Originally Posted by maftoonjaved View Post
    hello guys.

i made 4 users in window xp , and after i delet the adminstrator builten user . can any body help me how to make it again ?
    Yours is the different problem than what the topic of this thread is. You should create a new thread (giving suitable title) with your new topic/problem. Posting different problem / non-related comments in some other person's thread is considered as Hijacking of that thread.