Thread: Download Apple Security and Java updates for Mac OS X

Download Apple Security and Java updates for Mac OS X

Apple has posted a new security update for Mac OS X. you have Tiger or Leopard, you are affected by this patch just fill important gaps in various components of the system.

Here is the corrected list of elements:
    • A flaw in the management of RSS feeds in Safari
    • A vulnerability in the AFP server that may allow denial of service attacks
    • A flaw in CoreText
    • A flaw in the Folder Manager that could allow other local accounts to access the Downloads folder of the user, and other vulnerabilities
    • As usual, the easiest way to update the system is to click the Apple menu at the top left then select "Software Update". However, some prefer to keep a corner in the file to install the fix.

Here are the links to download different versions depending on the system you have:

Two Java updates are available. Same method to download the one cited above, but they can also be downloaded separately:

Re: Download Apple Security and Java updates for Mac OS X

I never tried under Leopard. I have Tiger and the choice is that I have 1.5.0 or 1.4.2. And I admit that I never had to launch an application with Java 1.4 (beeeurk). Some applications, like Eclipse, let you set the JVM to execute and changing their config file (must be in the file. App). You can also create a script that launches a Java executable (all your JDKs are in the / System / Library / Frameworks / JavaVM.framework / Versions /) and it goes into the setting. Jar of your application. But then you move away from the world of medium MacUser ...

Dr. V Guest

Found this on Apple Website

Mac OS X is the only major consumer operating system that comes complete with a fully configured and ready-to-use Java runtime and development environment. Professional Java developers are increasingly turning to the feature-rich Mac OS X as the operating system of choice for both Mac-based and cross-platform Java development projects. Mac OS X includes the full version of J2SE 1.5, pre-installed with the Java Development Kit (JDK) and the HotSpot virtual machine (VM), so you don't have to download, install, or configure anything.

Deploying Java applications on Mac OS X takes advantage of many built-in features, including 64-bit support, resolution independence, automatic support of multiprocessor hardware, native support for the Java Accessibility API, and the native Aqua look and feel. As a result, Java applications on Mac OS X look and perform like native applications on Mac OS X.
    Java for Developers

If you need a ready-to-run development environment for Java, Apple provides a complete, first-class suite of development tools, known as Xcode, with every Mac OS X system. The Xcode IDE sports a groundbreaking user interface that delivers powerful tools to support Java development, including reusable templates for Java projects; built-in support for building with ant, testing with JUnit, and managing your project with Maven; and the versatile AppleScript Studio for scripting Java applications. You can mix Java and other languages, such as Objective-C, in Cocoa applications using JNI. If you are already using a Java-based IDE, including IntelliJ IDEA, Sun NetBeans, or IBM Eclipse, you can install and run it on Mac OS X.

Before you ship, push your application to the limit with Apple's performance tools. Use Shark, JConsole, and Instruments to uncover hot spots, eliminate bottlenecks, and optimize memory usage, so you can deliver to your customers the best Java product possible.

Mac OS X also provides Java support in WebObjects, a robust set of Java frameworks for building industrial-strength web-based applications. Using a common language such as Java speeds up development time considerably and provides a cross-platform solution for today's complex business environment.
    Java for the Enterprise

For enterprise developers, powerful open source tools come pre-installed in Mac OS X Server, including JBoss, Apache Tomcat, and Apache Axis, making development and deployment of J2EE applications and web services easier than ever. The high-performance Java Runtime Environment (JRE) and the highly optimized Just-In-Time compiler (JITc) are integrated with Mac OS X , so they are readily available to all your applications. Mac OS X automatically includes the Java libraries in its standard search paths, so when you develop and deploy Java applications on Mac OS X, you know that Java is already installed and configured to work with your system.
    64-bits of Pure Power

JSDK 1.5 on Mac OS X is 64-bit ready, giving you nearly unlimited memory for handling larger data sets. So whether you work with gene sequencing, image files, scientific visualization and simulation, or just want to cache your application's database in memory, Java on Mac OS X has what you need.

Java on Mac OS X sports better performance numbers than its competitors, including Linux. Couple that with best Java development environment, and you have a winning combination for putting pure power into the hands of your customers.
    Java for the End User

Mac users are known for their high standards, so if you're bringing your Java application over from another platform, you'll find that adding support for Mac OS X is one of the easiest things you can do to make your program look and behave like a native Mac application. No matter what type of application you intend to deploy — server or command line, application bundle, or WebStart — by paying attention to the platform you can create a seamless Mac OS X experience. It's no big deal to provide Mac users with a relocatable, easy-to-install application with a native menu bar and support for native events. Simply drop in your jars and resources and set properties with Jar Bundler, create an icon with Icon Composer, and you're ready to go.

Because Java is integrated into the operating system and kept updated through regular software updates, applications don't need to bundle a JRE. Java support is transparent to users, so when you distribute your Java application to your Mac OS X users, it includes all the flexibility, power, and charm of the native Mac OS X platform, allowing you to easily layer and customize your application to give your users the consistent user interface of the Aqua look and feel.

I did not understand at the beginning the meaning of your sentence but to answer I would say that when you put your hands in the dirty you know more easily solve problems in command line mode and then graph gradually you will taste takes you learn new things and then you go even further in learning. Command line, it's crazy what you know you can make One could go on the Internet from the command line, I've done a lot of time on servers with no graphical

I never tried under Leopard. I have Tiger and the choice is that I have 1.5.0 or 1.4.2. And I admit that I never had to launch an application with Java 1.4 Some applications, like Eclipse, let you set the JVM to execute and changing their config file (must be in the file. App). You can also create a script that launches a Java executable (all your JDKs are in the / System / Library / Frameworks / JavaVM.framework / Versions /) and it goes into the setting. Jar of your application. But then you move away from the world of medium MacUser ..With what (s) application (s) that you will had concerns?

Quote Originally Posted by Cunning View Post
    I never tried under Leopard. I have Tiger and the choice is that I have 1.5.0 or 1.4.2. And I admit that I never had to launch an application with Java 1.4 Some applications, like Eclipse, let you set the JVM to execute and changing their config file (must be in the file. App). You can also create a script that launches a Java executable (all your JDKs are in the / System / Library / Frameworks / JavaVM.framework / Versions /) and it goes into the setting. Jar of your application. But then you move away from the world of medium MacUser ..With what (s) application (s) that you will had concerns?
    With another eclipse between I find the line to uncomment to force the use of 152 in place of 1.6 (which works very well with other Eclipse-based soft ...) but "forcing does not . I also have problems with NetBeans JavaFX and JavaFX for short but I have not yet so I peeled while still 152 at this time. it is a pity as it seems to me that the apps are more compatible Swift 64

Any program can launch another process and its output récuppérer with popen (). It's a function of the standard POSIX.2 that nearly implements all OS (I will let you guess which does not). When you throw a executable that writes lines of text in a terminal, this mechanism is implemented. Whether it is Linux, BSD or under Mac. A basic mechanism of inter-way communication process. But the mechanism itself does not depend on the command line (it is rather the reverse).