Thread: Cannot Perform defragmentation and Checkdisk operation

Cannot Perform defragmentation and Checkdisk operation

hi there...

For some unsudden reason, I am unable to perform defragmentation. I also get it into a message format.

Similarly when I try to run Check disk, I get the same message and some times this one "The type of file system is NTFS. Cannot lock current drive.
    Check disk cannot run because the required volume is under use by another process. Would you like to schedule this volume for being checked on the next time the system starts?

And saying that and applying does not provide any results.

I have also tried system restore, but no solution.........

Please provide some suggetsion regarding this..........

Re: Cannot Perform defragmentation and Checkdisk operation

try looking up chkntfs in Help and Support. or start > run > cmd, at the command prompt, type "chkntfs /?" it's going to list all the options for your bootup disk check[checks your disk/s for "dirty" drives and cleans them if found] you can disable checking on one or more of your drives, so chkdsk won't kick up when you boot.

Chkdsk, particularly with the /r switch is a very lengthy check. The larger the hard drive, the longer it takes. How long have you let it run and has it ever completed? Let me post the complete instructions for you here so we can refer to them if need be.

If you have Spyware Doctor installed, uninstall it.
    If you have ZoneAlarm installed, open it, click the "Overview" tab, then select "Preferences", and UNcheck the "Protect ZA Client" check box.
    Click Start, then Run, type cmd in the Open box and click "Ok". At the prompt in the Command window, type the following commands, pressing "Enter" after each one

chkntfs /d ..... (This will reset autocheck options to default)
    chkntfs /c C: ..... (This will allow checking drive C
    fsutil dirty query c: ..... (This queries the drive and will most likely tell you that it is dirty)
    chkntfs /x c: ..... (The x switch tells Windows to NOT check the specified drive on the next boot)
    At this point, restart your computer, it will not do a chkdsk and will boot directly to Windows.

This next step is important as this is where the Dirty Bit will be unset.
    Click Start, then Run, type cmd in the Open box and click "Ok". At the command prompt, type the following, pressing "Enter" after each one: (Again, note the spaces.)
    chkdsk /f /r c: ..... (To manually run a full chkdsk operation)
    Y ..... (To accept having it run on the next boot)
    This should take you through 5 stages of the scan and will unset that Dirty Bit. Be patient...this is a very thorough check and will take quite a while.

Finally, when the chkdsk operation has completed, type fsutil dirty query c:, press "Enter", and Windows will confirm that the Dirty Bit is not set on that drive.

Now reboot again and see if defragmenter will run.

did you try checking the boxes in the "Checkdisk" option and then rebooting to let checkdisk run prior to anything else starting up?

Double click on "My Computer".. Now, right click on the c: drive icon and select "properties".. When the new window opens, click on the "Tools" tab at the top..

Checkdisk is the first program to run in the "Tools" menu (it is called Error-Checking).. Click on that and then put a check in both boxes..

Close out, reboot and walk away for an hour or so.. When Windows is up and showing, the scan is finished

I had someone else with this issue, and I told him to go to C:\ right click , properties, and run the check yourself manually, <<make sure FIX ERRORS automatically>> is checked as it may be finding some but not fixing them, and then reboot, let it run it's course <<don't hit a key to cancel>>and see how it goes and if you can defragment after. This worked for him.

If it won't work, it can still mean a few things but I am really thinking a bad hard drive or corrupt OS. Yes, it's a royal pain to reinstall and unfortunately I do this all the time for people and my kids. Try to think of it as a fresh start, walking on air, no more error OS.