Thread: Download Mandriva Linux 2009.1 Beta

Dr. V Guest

Download Mandriva Linux 2009.1 Beta

The first beta version of Mandriva Linux 2009.1 is now available for download. This is a major update for the 2009 version, available for some time now. As such, we should not expect new features but mostly updated more or less important components.

Mandriva Linux 2009

Here's news:
    • Early implementation of SpeedBoot, which loads first all the elements necessary for the GUI to continue the rest in the background
    • KDE 4.2 (final version)
    • Qt 4.5.0 RC1
    • GNOME 2.25.90
    • XFCE 4.6 RC1
    • The light environment is now the default LXDE (instead of Icewm)
    • OpenOffice.org 3.0.1
    • New version of Drakxtools, including many bug fixes
    • Kernel 2.6.28
    • Latest versions Syslinux and gfxboot
    • Support File System Ext4 (but is not used by default)
    • Miscellaneous improvements DiskDrake (label change without formatting, and applications on the labels and NTFS partitions reiserfs4)

Graphical server X.org 1.5.99.902 (many bug fixes, especially with NVIDIA drivers) As usual, we will have the choice between several media for installation:
    • Mandriva Free DVD (x86 or x86_64), containing all the packages
    • Mandriva Free edition 2 CD GNOME (x86 only)
    • Mandriva Free 2 CD KDE Edition (x86 only)
    • Mandriva One KDE (x86 only)
    • Mandriva One GNOME (x86 only)

As a reminder, Mandriva One is a distribution Live CD type and therefore taking on a single CD. All downloads are available from this page.

Re: Download Mandriva Linux 2009.1 Beta

The list of new Linux distributions still surprises me. To say that KDE 4.2 is new to mandriva 2009 ca reviens a saying that can not be had from mandriva 2009 but in fact it's just the version supplied on the installation CD that changes, it is obvious that the former can mandriva quite install KDE4.2. Ditto for ext4 by exmple. This is not the distribution that manages ext4 or not, the kernel, and the latter, everyone can change. What was new is that mandriva uses the default FS. In short, all the points noted are not new to the distribution by me. The news is what is specific to this distribution, such as Drakxtools or Distdrake. I prefer to have more information about the novelty of these elements, rather than KDE / Gnome / Xorg with their new responsibilities are already the subject of news.

actually, there are some problems with qt 4.5 and kde 4.2, but they are not "insurmountable" in development. If sebastian stressed above, it is not as distrib little looking at the quality (I can not think of any particularly good agreement ... ) Is trying the combo without too much worry about the result. If this is done (with bugs back to developers and rapid incorporation of the latest patches for plasma 4.2) it can be fine

Quote Originally Posted by Sloane View Post
    The list of new Linux distributions still surprises me. To say that KDE 4.2 is new to mandriva 2009 ca reviens a saying that can not be had from mandriva 2009 but in fact it's just the version supplied on the installation CD that changes, it is obvious that the former can mandriva quite install KDE4.2. Ditto for ext4 by exmple. This is not the distribution that manages ext4 or not, the kernel, and the latter, everyone can change. What was new is that mandriva uses the default FS. In short, all the points noted are not new to the distribution by me. The news is what is specific to this distribution, such as Drakxtools or Distdrake. I prefer to have more information about the novelty of these elements, rather than KDE / Gnome / Xorg with their new responsibilities are already the subject of news.

Because you go to the principle that those who are interested in Linux and the "new" distribution (in terms of version huh), people are sufficiently aware of the Linux universe.

Outside this is not the case! And even though it is possible to upgrade the "Kernel" to add the latest releases to its current distribution, the user will probably prefer a distribution that will provide all pre release to avoid problems later. I do not know if I can be clear, but basically you up with a very "Linux" and I do not think this is an objective viewpoint.