Thread: Erasing Apple Powerbook

Erasing Apple Powerbook

I want to format an apple powerbook g4, and I am not sure that can be done or not because I don’t know well Macintosh. currently I can not Boot it. I also downloaded mac os x but i am unable to format it. pleas anyone can help me ?

Re: Erasing Apple Powerbook

formatting is not that problematic just boot from cd with bios setting fist boot from cd rom. then you will get option to format it. if you have any problem with cd You can get replacement System Install & Restore CD/DVDs from Apple's Customer Support - in the US, (800) 767-2775 - for a nominal S&H fee. You'll need to have the model and/or serial number of your Mac available.

i think you can do with some tool also which help you to formatting drive check here
    http://www.apple.com/au/pr/products/...powerbook.html

Mac OS 9 to initialize or format a disk

Initializing a hard disk, cartridge, or optical disk

To initialize a hard disk, cartridge, or optical disk, use Drive Setup (inside the Utilities folder on your hard disk).
    Tip: When you initialize a disk, the Format pop-up menu gives you choices that include Mac OS Standard (HFS) and Mac OS Extended (HFS Plus). Mac OS Standard format is compatible with all versions of the Mac OS; Mac OS Extended is compatible only with Mac OS 8.1 or later. If you format a hard disk with Mac OS Extended format, you can't use that disk with computers that use an earlier version of the Mac OS.
    If your hard disk is not an Apple hard disk:
    Use the disk utility software provided by the disk's manufacturer instead of Drive Setup.

Initializing a Zip or Jaz disk

To initialize a Zip or Jaz disk, use the Iomega Tools application (which is inside a folder within the Apple Extras folder on your hard disk) and choose the utility appropriate for the type of drive you're using, such as USB or SCSI.

If the Iomega Tools application won't open, make sure you have a Zip or Jaz drive connected to your computer. If a drive is not connected to the computer, the Tools program may display an error message stating that the wrong driver version is installed.

Initializing a DVD-RAM disc

To initialize a DVD-RAM disc, follow these steps:

1. Insert the disc into the DVD-RAM drive.
    2. Open the Special menu and choose Erase Disk.
    3. Select a format for the disc in the Format pop-up menu.

To initialize your startup disk
    Start up your computer from the system software CD. Open Drive Setup, select the startup disk, and click Initialize.

If initialization fails

Open the Functions menu and choose Initialization Options. Click the "Low level format"; and "Zero all data"; checkboxes to select them. Then try initializing the disk again.

If initialization fails a second time, test your hard disk for physical damage.

This document contains information from Help Center, the help system included with your computer.