Thread: Esata Does Not Work Under Windows Vista

Esata Does Not Work Under Windows Vista

Hello everyone!

I am new to Vista. Before I used XP (in dualboot with OpenSuse), I decided to install and see just what is in vista. For the moment it is rather a lot I have to say, except that it's still a little too greedy in resources but never mind, here is my problem; I use an external hard drive, USB it works perfectly, there is no problem.But i also have and Esata which is impossible to run under Vista. although in Linux, it is recognized and installed automatically when I turn it on. How to make it work with Vista? I guess that's possible in XP because it worked. thank you in advance for your help!

Re: Esata Does Not Work Under Windows Vista

Hello,

Click start and slect run and type devmgmt.msc for launching the device manager. If you can see yellow exclamation point on one of your drives than we might need a driver.and also where is Your esata connected is it on the motherboard or is it a PCI card?

Dr. V Guest

The problem at this point is the eSATA drives are recognized as internal drivesto the operating system in most cases, so sees windows Vista them as such, too.eSATA drive can be authoritatively.be identified as a removable drive.the solution is simple , you need nForce drivers installed to enable hot swapbstandard driver package doesn't detect ide/sata, so you have to extract the archive, go into device manager and install the sata drivers manually from there.if you use standard MS driver, SATA hot swap option simply won't work just wanted to mention one more thing, you are NOT using eSATA. eSATA is seperate specification from SATA. you are running an adapter from SATA on you motherboad to eSATA

It may depend on the chipset in the external enclosure. Or maybe it depends on the motherboard hardware and the drivers for it. (Likely). I am running a Gigabyte M59SLI-S5.This is a nVidia chipset board using AMD socket AM2 cpus.I have not tried hot plugging the drive; seems dangerous to me regardless of the spec.