Thread: Error message "The file 'Asms' on Windows XP Professional CD-ROM is needed"

Error message "The file 'Asms' on Windows XP Professional CD-ROM is needed"

Hi friends,

I am facing an issue with my PC whenever i am trying to have a fresh install of Windows Xp i am getting an error message as The file 'Asms' on Windows XP Professional CD-ROM is needed.Can anyone help me out with this issue.

I am really got tried please fix this issue for me.

Re: Error message "The file 'Asms' on Windows XP Professional CD-ROM is needed"

Try to use a new Windows CD Copy and also have a check that you Optical Drive is working fine or not.

If both are working fine than replaced this GLOBALROOT\DEVICES\CDROM0\I386 with c:\i386, copied it to clipboard for repeat use, and entered it as the file location. A number of similar file missing boxes will proceed to open - each referring to a different file. Each time, paste c:\i386 and press Enter. After about 25-different times, the install/repair moved along smoothly.

Quote Originally Posted by Clark View Post
    Try to use a new Windows CD Copy and also have a check that you Optical Drive is working fine or not.
    Yes i tried to do that also but it didn't worked for me any other Solution.

I have found a solution for you and sure it will fix your issue, try to follow this steps:-

1. Whenever you receive the error message, press SHIFT+F10 to start a command session.

2. Type regedit.exe,in the Command prompt and then hit ENTER.

3. Click HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE.

4. On the File menu, click Load Hive, and then load %Windir%\System32\Config\System.sav.

5. When you are prompted to specify a name, type Test.

6. Locate and then click the following key:
      HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Test\ControlSet1\Control\Class\{4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}

7. Delete the UPPERFILTERS and LOWERFILTERS registry keys.

8. Repeat steps 6 and 7 for the other ControlSet# keys under the Test hive.

9. Click File, and then click Exit to quit Registry Editor.

10. If the path in the error message is the correct drive letter for the CD-ROM drive, click OK to continue the Setup program.

11. If you receive the error message again, the Setup program cannot correctly read from the CD-ROM drive, or the path information is incorrect. In this case and restart the PC.