Thread: Low vertual memory

Low vertual memory

Hi,
    I watch Videos & movies online so the buffered video gets stored into the hard disk virtual memory.
    Last 2-3 days am getting this "Low virtual memory" message & now it is giving me some problems when I want to watch online movie & when i rewind or something it stops.
    Please suggest me some ways how can I increase the virtual memory size?

Re: Low vertual memory

Hello Ayaz!
    "virtual memory" is the amount of RAM that you have plus the amount of disk space you have setup for "swap space".

You can buy more RAM. You can increase the swap space. However, generally speaking, if swap space is more than two times larger than RAM, performance will suffer.

Try this:
    1. Click on Start and right-click on My Computer.
    2. Choose Properties.
    3. Click on the Advanced tab. Under Performance, click on the Settings button.
    4. Under Virtual Memory, click on the Change button.
    5. Here is where you decide the amount of Virtual Memory that you need to increase. Try playing around with a few hundred megabytes above the assigned amount.

If your machine gives that message after it's been on and running for a while, you may have a memory leak from some program. If it comes on early, you may have unneeded running processes at startup. You can check these using Ctrl-Alt-Del to bring up task manager. Check it early after start and after you've been using it a while to see what's running and how much memory processes are using. Memory leaks are caused by programs that fail to release unneeded RAM and begin to gobble it up unnecessarily.

If you have free Hard disk space you can increase your Virtual Memory for each drive (any partitioned drive as well).

Try to increase the Max size 1500 MB to 3000 MB & set the initial to 2000 MB. Check if problem still persist. Also try to clean your internet temp files & cookies.

Look here for more details!
    http://www.mysuperpc.com/pmu/virtual...ile_size.shtml

I hope this helps you!