Thread: Slow network transfer rate

Slow network transfer rate

hi,
    i have small network of 5 computer. each computers are using Windows XP and LinkSys 100tx network adapters.Whenever i transfer files from my computer (Win XP) to all computer it is very slow.all the computers (while copying files) have been idle. Also, all hard disks are very capable... No local disk or disk controll problems.. And judging by the disk activity LED indicators, they are not even close to load while copying is in progress.i wanted to ask if anyone else has had this happen, or if anyone has suggestions as to what could cause this so that I might be able to fix it.

Re: Slow network transfer rate

hi,
    configer Windows Firewall with Advanced Security. Goto control Panel, swith to Classic View,click on Administrator tools,go into Local Security Policy, and there you will see firewall folder. Setup the profile your using with a new outbond rule. I had my fire wall off the whole time and still do, but this worked. I hope it works for you. Windows Vista has outbond rules in it's firewall unlike XP only having inbond. Silly me to think that when I shut off the fire wall that everything would be wide open. Aparently This has to be manualy set regardless. My transfer rate went from AVG 2.5MB to 72.3MB over Gigbit.

Dr. V Guest

Re: Slow network transfer rate

the bottleneck can sometimes be a slow hard drive or use of an old ribbon cable between the hard disk and motherboard, sata type hard disk should not be an issue , the spin speed and read write times will also have an effect on transfer rates.also ensure you have not ntivirus checker that check the file as it transfers , nortons 360 is a bugger for this , and even though it shouldnt matter ensure you are using a cat 5 or cat 6 cable.