Thread: Only guest account showing after updating to Mac OS X Lion v10.7

Only guest account showing after updating to Mac OS X Lion v10.7

Hey guys I am stuck in this problem since today morning I updated my Mac pc to the Mac OS X Lion v10.7andnow I am unable to fine all the other user account except the guest account that one case and now when I try to log in into the guest account but its showing the password is incorrect so basically I am unable to reach mu computer data after the up gradation so please guys anyone familiar with the cure of this issue I would really like to know thanks in advanced

Re: Only guest account showing after updating to Mac OS X Lion v10.7

Even I am also facing the same problem I can acquire to the Mac OS X utility screen however do not wish for to reinstall or restore since time machine unless have to.

All User Accounts are missing after migrating to OSX Lion SLS. It has not yet found. I'm happy to be able to prove this migration in a separate test-server.I'm a little disappointed by the server control and maintenance. It seems as if most of the profits are gone. Where's the manual?

I talked to Apple last night. In my case I had a backup of Time Machine. The only option for me was to clean the hard drive and restore from Time Machine. I will wait before re-installing Leon to some of the errors are resolved. To get to the screen to insert the disk Utili Snow Leopard and close. Turn on the machine again and as soon as you release the power button to put your finger on the letter C key until the Apple logo with the spinning wheel. From here I had the opportunity to wipe the hard drive and then run a restore from time machine. We tried about 5 different things before coming to this option. Depending on your machine, you can have other options. My machine is a bit old, since it is an iMac 2006.

Even I was also called the Apple hotline and I was told to

Code:
    /user/sbin/resetpassword
    But this did not work at all I was not able to reset password And then we did a blank reinstall, with recovery of Time Machine backing. Failed again.

Right now, I'm back to Snow, and I'll effort another call when I gain some extra stamina.

I remotely updated my parent’s 2010 iMac and after restarting lost all remote access. I was told that only guest account was available, but do not know the password. I had to come to this forum to find the answer, but try to walk a couple of 80 years old, what buttons to push and what kind of getting your new iMac running. There is no excuse. The beta testers obviously did not work of which I was one of them

Ok try this hope this works hold the "R" do nothing, so I had to hold the option that presents the volumes and had the option to start Recovery. Once started the system recovery which I'm absolutely delighted it is now part of OS X Built-In, introduced with the lion , I had to select the Terminal application through menu

I tried reinstalling Lion through the Internet from the utilities. It worked! Still I can not see my previous login info. Only the guest account is appearing when I click on the image around it tells me to restart with safari-only-mode. I can enter a password below, but do not know what to write since I tried all my PW. Please help someone. Am desperate

Same problem here, only Guest Account icon available for login. God knows what happened to my Admin login icon. I have work to do and all my data is in there somewhere. Haven't backed up my Mac for two-three weeks and if I cannot get around it, I am seriously screwed. Any more ideas on what can be done to get to our data? Please someone help!!!!

Do the following steps and let me know if it was helpful for you or not

1) first go to the system preferences and then users and group.

2) Go to the guest account and then uncheck the option of "Allow guests to connect to this computer".

3) Now having done that close the guest account and then again go to the system preferences and then users and group.

4) Now again go to the guest account and then check the option of "Allow guests to connect to this computer".

Try this and let me know if it was helpful for you.

ok, after 10 days continuous and persistent and hectic searching (talking to apple as well) for a fix on the guest account after the lion upgrade, i finally made it work.

for some of us, only the user account was available in the login screen which means that we could not log in our user account accessing our data.

follow the steps:

1) remove the back of your computer

2) carefully remove the hard disk. (that is not difficult but make sure that you unscrew the tiny screws that hold the side metallic pegs too)

3) buy an external hard disk case SATA to USB, 2 1/2 inches. very cheap, bought mine for 12 euro.

4) connect your hard disk drive from your macbook or macbook pro to the external hd case you bought. by doing this, you transform the hd drive into a USb stick.

5) connect the external hd case to another computer. that will be read as a USB drive to the other machine so you can browse through all your files and folders.

6) go to: library/preferences/com.apple.loginwindow.plist

7) delete the file

8) remove the hd drive from the external hd case

9) put back the hd drive to your macbook

10) power it on and now you can see your user account plus another account named "other".

the trick was to remove the hd drive and use it as a usb drive.

this is the only way to remove the loginwindow.plist file from the machine.

all other ways through the safari only mode will NOT work as the accessibility the terminal gives you is fictitious, is NOT real.

hope you can all get your mac back.

ps this fix only applies to users who upgraded their lion to 10.7.2 from 10.7.0 and after reboot the only account showing in the login window was the Guest Account with the safari only mode available.

Thank you MariosX, that solved my problem. But instead of connecting the hard disk to another computer i did the following:

1. Restart into recovery mode (press alt/option while booting and select the Recovery HD)
    2. Open Utilities -> Terminal
    3. Type:
      Code:
      rm /Volumes/Macintosh\ HD/Library/Preferences/com.apple.loginwindow.plist
      You'll probably need to replace Macintosh\ HD with the name of your HD in the /Volumes directory.
    4. Reboot

After doing that I could finally see my user again.

Cheers
    René