Thread: Cannot run any .exe files

Cannot run any .exe files

Since trying to protect myself against pop-up and junk etc, I installed Microsoft Antispyware Beta, then removed it and since then I've had problems were I can't run any .exe file. Even running MS Office programs won't load. Everytime I try to run a file with the .exe extention, i get an error saying "This file does not have a program associated with it for performing this action. Create an association in the Set associations control panel." I found the panel, but it didn't have the extention .exe for me to edit, what do it do. Please help.
    Waiting for (I know I cant afford em all): Halo 2 (xbox), Half-Life 2 (xbox), MGS3: Snake Eater (ps2), MGS: Twin Snakes (GC), Splinter Cell: Pandora Tomorrow (xbox), Gran Tourismo 4 (PS2), Mario Advance 4: Pikmin 2 (GC), Metroid Zero Mission (GBA), Mario and Luigi: Superstar Saga (GBA)

Re: Cannot run any .exe files

There are a number of viruses, trojans, and worms that mess up the Registry data for running executable (.exe) files, so this can cause nothing to seem to happen when you double click an .exe file name in My Computer or try to execute one by putting the name in the Run dialog box off the Start Menu.

If the virus/trojan/worm has been partially removed from your computer, then you might get a Windows error message such as "Cannot find program.exe". The reason the various types of malware modify the .exe file Registry key is to ensure that when you try to run any executable program, the malware program runs instead.

This problem occurs if the .exe file association in the registry is corrupt. This behavior is generally caused by viruses; one of which is SirCam virus, which modifies the .exe file association in registry.

Fixing the association settings automatically

Download exefix_xp.com utility and save to Desktop. Double-click the file to run it. This utility fixes the exefile association in the registry automatically.

Tip

To run the utility silently (without any prompts), use the -silent parameter. Open a Command window (Command.com) and type:

C:\Utilities\exefix_xp.com -silent

Assuming that the exefix_xp.com is placed in the C:\Utilities directory.

What error you are getting. I happened this with some .exe files because of some components that were missing in my computer, but nothing like this. Try playing with the admin settings to see if you can fix it. Maybe admin doesn't allow to install any program so that can be a reason for not running .exe files or something like that.

Try this (read carefully):
    First, either download the file from here OR go on another computer and open up Notepad. Then, insert the following:
    Code:
    copy C:\WINDOWS\regedit.exe C:\WINDOWS\regedit.com
    Then, you'll need to go to File -> Save As followed by selecting "All Files" under "Save as type" and save the file as exefix.bat or something as long as it has .bat at the end. Finally, find a method to copy to your computer (floppy disk, usb drive..etc)
    After that's done, execute the bat[ch] file. Then, go to Start -> Run and type "regedit.com"

(NOTE: The reason I chose this complicated method is because it should work under all circumstances)

Go to My Computer -> HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT -> .exe . If .exe does not exist, then do the following, otherwise, do not do the following.

Take the code out of the box below (copy and paste)..and put it in notepad. Then go to File -> Save As. Under "Save As Type", choose "All Files". Then, create the file name to be "exefix.reg" or whatever you'd like to it to be, so long as it has .reg at the end. Then, double click or right click and choose "Merge". See if that'll fix it.
    Code:
    Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.exe]
    @="exefile"
    "Content Type"="application/x-msdownload"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.exe\PersistentHandler]
    @="{098f2470-bae0-11cd-b579-08002b30bfeb}"
    Hopefully you'll find this information to be of use!

For some reason, my computer can not run .reg files, but i did just fix the problem. I found system restore and ran it as an administrator and just rolled back to before the problem happened. Thank you for all your help.
    Waiting for (I know I cant afford em all): Halo 2 (xbox), Half-Life 2 (xbox), MGS3: Snake Eater (ps2), MGS: Twin Snakes (GC), Splinter Cell: Pandora Tomorrow (xbox), Gran Tourismo 4 (PS2), Mario Advance 4: Pikmin 2 (GC), Metroid Zero Mission (GBA), Mario and Luigi: Superstar Saga (GBA)