Thread: Download Leonidas Fedora 11 first alpha version

Download Leonidas Fedora 11 first alpha version

The first alpha version of Fedora 11 (codenamed Leonidas) is available, and we can say that the developers want a distribution that is full of features. The next major version of the system will be available in several flavors, including GNOME 2.26 and KDE 4.2, released recently

Here is a list of the main novelties introduced by this version 11:
    • Inclusion of MinGW environment that can compile applications for Windows and Linux without leaving Fedora
    • Use the default file system Ext4
    • Support File System Btrfs
    • A new management control of its
    • PackageKit is used in Fedora 10 to install multimedia codecs on demand, it is now used to install firmware at the request of the user or system
    • GNOME 2.26
    • KDE 4.2 (RC2 in this alpha version of Fedora 11)
    • XFCE 4.6 beta
    • NetBeans 6.5
    • Python 2.6
    • Git 1.6.1.1

To download, we too can not advise you to limit the first alpha version to a machine dedicated to this type of installation, or a virtual machine, via a product like VirtualBox. All the different versions may be retrieved from this page.

Re: Download Leonidas Fedora 11 first alpha version

Windows Cross Compiler (mingw32-*)
    Fedora 11 Alpha provides a preview of MinGW, a development environment for Fedora users who wish to cross-compile their programs to run on Windows without using Windows during development. In the past, developers had to port and compile all of the libraries and tools they needed, with this huge effort happening independently many times over. MinGW in Fedora eliminates duplication of work for application developers by providing a range of libraries and development tools already ported to the cross-compiler environment. Developers do not need to recompile the application stack themselves, but can concentrate just on the changes needed to their own application.

To try the cross-compiler and environment, install the mingw32-gcc or mingw32-gcc-c++ packages. After installation, use the mingw32-configure command to replace ordinary ./configure. The following commands then build a Windows executable (*.EXE) or Windows DLL (*.DLL) from your code:

Code:
    mingw32-configure
    make
    The mingw32-library packages provide requisite libraries for use with MinGW. If you install requisite libraries with these packages, mingw32-configure automatically finds them.

The following libraries are available in the Alpha release:
    • bzip2, zlib for data compression
    • dlfcn (dlopen workalike for Windows)
    • freetype
    • gdbm
    • gettext, iconv, pdcurses, readline, and termcap for text/terminal/i18n
    • libpng
    • pthreads (based on Sourceware pthreads-win32)
    • SDL for graphics
    • sqlite

GNOME 2.26
    The GNOME 2.26 development snapshot is part of this release, and is the default environment used in the Fedora Desktop Live image. The Desktop Live image is a downloadable CD you can use to test the new GNOME environment with or without installing it. The image can be written to CD, or to a USB flash disk using these instructions.

KDE 4.2 Release Candidate 2
    The KDE 4.2 Release Candidate 2 snapshot is part of this release and is the default environment in the Fedora KDE Desktop Live image. The KDE Desktop Live image is a downloadable CD you can use to test the new KDE environment with or without installing it. The image can be written to a CD, or to a USB flash disk using these instructions. KDE 4.2 will be available as an update shortly.

Xfce 4.6 Beta
    A major new release of Xfce, Xfce 4.6 Beta, is available in the repository and is the default environment in the Fedora Xfce Live Spin. The Xfce Live Spin is a downloadable CD you can use to test the new Xfce environment with or without isntalling it. The image can be written to a CD, or to a USB flash disk using these instructions.

The NetBeans has been updated to version 6.5. NetBeans 6.5 is a significant update of the NetBeans 6.1 and includes the following changes:
    • PHP support with code completion, Xdebug and web service features.
    • JavaFX 1.0 supports animation, graphics and media codecs for rich content application development.
    • New Support for Groovy and Grails.
    • Improved JavaScript, AJAX and Ruby support.
    • Automatic Compile and Deploy on Save for Java and Java EE applications.
    • Improved database support: SQL history, SQL completion, and results viewing and editing improvements.
    • Improved Java ME support for Data Binding, SVG and Custom Component creation.
    • GUI Builder: Support for Nimbus and simple class names.
    • JUnit: single test method support.
    • Debugger: Redesign of Step into feature.

Ah, one of the things that I just took more time to run as I wanted in FC10 was just the sound ... Let's see what gives FC11 let me grabs the FC11 KDE Live CD

It is net, when you see the quality of trolls and more. Frankly, troll on PulseAudio, it's really easy ... Well, for those who do nothing as usual, it is mainly the graphical interfaces that its management will be reviewed. I guess that rather GNOME. There's a change in the strange Xorg configurationI do not know how it will manage, and therefore you either do not troll, but it may cause problems if not well managed. Together with previous changes, a gene Xorg does not planted to return to the command line. Must see it. Although management firmware in PackageKit, but good for those who do not have Internet because of that, it's a pity. For more crazy, it is also trying Btrfs (passing the correct options for loading the system CD).

Quote Originally Posted by Landry View Post
    It is net, when you see the quality of trolls and more. Frankly, troll on PulseAudio, it's really easy ... Well, for those who do nothing as usual, it is mainly the graphical interfaces that its management will be reviewed. I guess that rather GNOME. There's a change in the strange Xorg configurationI do not know how it will manage, and therefore you either do not troll, but it may cause problems if not well managed. Together with previous changes, a gene Xorg does not planted to return to the command line. Must see it. Although management firmware in PackageKit, but good for those who do not have Internet because of that, it's a pity. For more crazy, it is also trying Btrfs (passing the correct options for loading the system CD).
    I heard that it would be the same for Ubuntu 9.04. And I see not too much interest.

Quote Originally Posted by Kelsey View Post
    I heard that it would be the same for Ubuntu 9.04. And I see not too much interest.
    Bah we may stop to see the various tutorials for noobs "Restart X with ctrl-alt-bkspc" after any config, while AC is not at all like this, and that this should be used only in case of serious problem ... It's a bit the equivalent of windows reboot by unplugging the power supply cable in fact.

Must also stop free on gerber PA, is a very good application if they are useful and it is configured well. The problem is that all large public distros install with a standard config not always terrible. we should quite agree, PA is a good audio server, if we excluded the last version with no hardware timer that do not work on all sound cards, but I'm not sure it comes from PA and not ALSA. By effectively against the config is not great, a good tool for the job is missing, but hey it's not hell on earth either, just RTFM. Anyway here I will always laugh the people who complain that software is buggy or not done on fedora. What is more when it is an alpha version. It's a bit of principle, even a fedora final can be seen as a beta relative to other distribs ...