Thread: Linux on Usb stick

Linux on Usb stick

hi,
    I want a 4GB USB stick a small Linux version.I do not know which distribution is best suited to. I have experience with Suse 11.0 something. But it should be as small as possible and functional. Much unnecessary so I need not at all. I want to surf, watch movies, listen to music and bissl play around in the console. Settings and change the things I've downloaded or to be on the next startup still be there, so comes a live-Stick is not in question. Could I have this "custom" USB stick on other PC's use? So virtually everywhere and anywhere to use?also want to know how to install from usb.

Can anyone help!!!

Re: Linux on Usb stick

hi,
    Flash 4G is an update on the previous Flash 2G, having twice the capacity, and provides a single 4GB FAT partition. decide how to split it up between system and swap partitions. When the stick is first started up, the user is asked to allocate space for their system. For instance, you can allocate up to 3GB for your system and keep the rest of the free space for personal documents.No files needed to be copied to the host's hard drive and no traces of your session are left on the host PC. The key software can be upgraded to Mandriva Linux 2007 Spring, the upcoming new version of the OS. Flash 4G costs Euro 89 (US$175).

Re: Linux on Usb stick

On the root directory of your USB device, create a folder “install” Copy the installer kernel and the initramdisk into this folder (Download source below.You need the files “vmlinux” and “initrd.gz”).You need to download the files “vmlinux” and “initrd.gz”.
    You need to have the installer that fits the architecture of your Ubuntu version you want to install. In other words, you need a amd64 installer if you want to install an amd64 Ubuntu .iso image and the i386 installer for an i386 iso.From the installation iso image you downloaded, copy the folder “isolinux” to the root directory of your USB device (right-click on the .iso file, choose “extract here”). Rename “isolinux” into “syslinux”. Go inside the directroy “syslinux”. There, rename the file “isolinux.cfg” into “syslinux.cfg”.

• Make the stick bootable: Use fdisk to set the boot flag,
    • Install syslinux using the following command
    • sudo aptitude install syslinux
    • Now use syslinux to install a boot sector on your USB device
    • sudo syslinux /dev/sdbX
    • where sdbX is the device name and number of your USB device, check with “sudo mount”. A file called “ldlinux.sys” will be created in the root direcotry of the USB device.
    • Copy the Ubuntu CD image in the root directory of your USB device (Contents of USB you can see as follows).If you are using i386 you need to copy the complete .iso image in to the root directory of your USB device.