Thread: multiboot windows xp and linux

multiboot windows xp and linux

Hi,
    i have Windows XP Pro as my default opearting system. How can I install Windows XP and Ubuntu 8.04.I have Hitachi - Hard Drive - 80 Gb - Internal - Sata II/300 - 7 Pin Serial Ata - 7200.the defafult os running is windows xp.I would rather use Easy BCD instead of GRUB, but it will not work correctly.

Is there anything that will solve this problem?

Re: multiboot windows xp and linux

hi,
    Install Windows xp first. When you later install Ubuntu, its bootloader can recognize that Windows XP is already installed. But Windows will not recognize Linux.

Many large files or multimedia, and are not trying to set up an elaborate compiling and development environment, 5Gb is more than enough room. A few more Gb might be helpful. You will also need some room for the "Linux Swap" partition. Twice the size of your RAM is generally recommended for swap, but you can get by with much less than that, if you have a large RAM and don't want to use too much hard drive for swap.

Consider creating a spare partition, formatted to FAT32. This can be a common area, accessible via either Windows or Linux. The amount of space should be large enough to accomodate any files that you think you might want to access via either system.

Before installing Ubuntu (or any Linux), be sure to read through various how-to guides to ensure that you choose the correct installation options. If you simply accept all defaults during the installation process, you may find that Linux takes up more space than you intended to give it.

Try to install linux with live cd. That will expose any hardware incompatibilities for your computer. Also, keep in mind that certain hardware drivers cannot be shipped with the Linux installer, because they are proprietary. If you have that hardware, you will have to acquire the extra drivers via Internet.

install cd's and things like the repo on the Ubuntu livecd's. In my experience it also breaks the XP install routine (because it can't read the disc anymore) but for some really weird reason has no effect on Win/BartPE.

Dr. V Guest

after installaing Linux you'll have the option to install or skip the Linux Boot Loader (LILO).
    if the Linux also include GRUB, you want to use GRUB instead of LILO.
    There are a number of ways to install Windows and Linux on the same machine, and are also a number of ways to dual-boot the two operating system.

hi,
    EasyBCD is the free tool that product by NeoSmart Technologies and use to boot right into Linux, Mac OS X, or BSD straight from the Windows Vista boot loader. This is the great tool that users can use it too configure multi boot for multiple operating systems. Just with few step of configuration, you may get the multi boot for their operating system within yuor computer.