Thread: Error showing NTDETECT failure

unsure Error showing NTDETECT failure

Hello Everybody,

I don't know exactly whether it is a software or a hardware problem? But whenever i try to boot my system it gives out an error message stating that NTDETECT failed. It first checks my hardware and then give out this error. Can any one tell me that what this error means? Can any one help me out to resolve this issue? Any kind of help would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Re: Error showing NTDETECT failure

For problems that occur before the NT Boot Loader menu appears, take these steps to recover the system:

• Attempt to boot the system from a Windows NT boot floppy (the procedure for creating this disk is described in Chapter 12). If you are able to boot and access the system using this disk, it is likely that the problem is one of the following: a damaged Master Boot Record or Partition Boot Sector; or an invalid, damaged, or missing NTLDR or BOOT.INI file. In this case, you need to take steps to repair the affected files or disk structures. See the following sections for more information on how to repair a damaged MBR or PBS.
    • If you are unable to access the system using an NT boot floppy, try running the Windows NT Setup Repair process in conjunction with the Emergency Repair Disk. When prompted, choose to inspect all aspects of the Windows NT installation, including the startup environment, NT boot sector, Registry files, and Windows NT installation files. Follow the prompts and replace any files Setup recommends be replaced.
    • If the above steps fail, try reinstalling Windows NT in the same folder as the existing version to see if this fixes the problem. When prompted, tell NT Setup that you are doing an upgrade installation and NOT a new installation; if you choose to do a new installation into the same directory, you will overwrite the existing Windows NT Registry database and lose your previous system configuration.
    • If all else fails, try to recover data (if possible) from your Windows NT installation. If NT is installed on a FAT partition, you can simply boot to MS-DOS and use a DOS-based utility to copy the information to another location (such as a removable drive or tape backup). If the volume is NTFS, you need to install a second, parallel copy of Windows NT and use this to access the data in the original installation.
    • If this is an NTFS-based NT installation and there is insufficient room on the drive for a second installation, you can take the drive to another machine and install it as a secondary drive; this will allow you to access and recover information from the drive.

Recovering from a windows boot failure:

Symptom: When booted, the system responds only with "NTLDR not found. Press Ctrl-Alt-Del to restart".

Solution:

1. Boot from a windows CD. Enter the recovery console by typing "r" on the first screen of the installer.
    2. Check the root of the drive for the following files:
    • ntldr
    • ntdetect.com
    • boot.ini

3. If they do not exist, copy ntldr and ntdetect.com from the i386 directory of the CD to the root of the hard disk.
    4. Run "bootcfg /rebuild" to rebuild the boot.ini file.
    • Bootcfg will ask some questions. Most are straightforward. The last one, "load options", should be answered "/fastdetect"

5. The system should now boot. If it is necessary, the boot.ini file can be edited by right-clicking on my computer and selecting "properties". The "advanced" tab has an item called "startup and recovery". This option allows the file to be edited.

NTDETECT.COM is used during the hardware recognition phase of boot up, it is no surprise that you are having problems without it.
    I'd try the following to get your computer working again:

1. Insert the Windows XP bootable CD into the computer.
    2. When prompted to press any key to boot from the CD, press any key.
    3. Once in the Windows XP setup menu press the "R" key to repair Windows.
    4. Log into your Windows installation by pressing the "1" key and pressing enter.
    5. You will then be prompted for your administrator password, enter that password.
    6. Copy the below two files to the root directory of the primary hard disk. In the below example we are copying these files from the CD-ROM drive letter "E". This letter may be different on your computer.

• copy e:\i386\ntldr c:\
    • copy e:\i386\ntdetect.com c:\

7. Once both of these files have been successfully copied, remove the CD from the computer and reboot.

Hope so the above solution may resolve your issue.

question Re: Error showing NTDETECT failure

hi all, love this site. ok, back to business. i put the disk in and pressed r, then it told me that it found no hard drive!! i have a laptop hp pavillion 6700. someone pls help my life is on this computer...

its actually an hp pavillion dv6000..PLEASE SOMEONE HELPP!!!

I think... This is due your laptop has a SATA Controler for your harddisk. sometimes windows XP does not have.

If you still have the CD's that came with the laptop (if so) there sould be a cd with the SATA drivers on it. you will need to install before the windows XP installation progress is started.

Put in your windows xp cd and boot from that.

Read the lines that will appear in the lower line on your screen.

I'm not sure but i think it sais: press F6 if you want to install 3rd party or raid drivers.
    Press F6 to do so, try to locate your SATA drivers if you don't have them on your disks.. you will need to download them from the HP site.

here are your drivers
    http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/s...roduct=3224055

here is the one you need to install windows
    http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/s...roduct=3224055

the instructions are there just read boot your xp cd keep tapping f6 when it asks you press s when it asks you if you want to specify a driver insert the floppy disk you made from the above link press enter to load the driver then continue. all is well

hi,
    I think you should first check your hard disk for errors i mean file system. i you have UBCD, boot from it and try to check your hard disc for errors. i think a file system error could be the cause. one more thing if you have UBCD then in the main boot menu you have windows recovery console option which would start windows recovery console. check your hard disc for error using the chkdsk command.

thank u all for replying...ok so i did a hard disk test in bios..it said #1-07 fail...then if my laptop isnt working how do i install the drivers that you posted for me?? thanks