Forgot your username/password?
Register Tags Active Topics RSS Search Mark Forums Read

Sponsored Links

How to uninstall Ubuntu from dual boot with Windows XP

Operating Systems

Old 31-01-2009

How to uninstall Ubuntu from dual boot with Windows XP

Hi,
I have a dual boot of windows XP and ubuntu on my machine so now i need to uninstall the ubuntu . so please show me the procedure to do that. I want to keep XP as it is . Thanks for any help !

Old 31-01-2009

Re: How to uninstall Ubuntu from dual boot with Windows XP

Use Disk Manager in Windows to delete the Ubuntu partitions.

Boot off your Windows XP CD.
  1. Choose “Repair”
  2. When it asks for the installation number, I put in “1″, and it worked fine (you may want to test this first to be sure.)
  3. Enter Admin password.
  4. At the command prompt type “fixmbr”, then confirm. Windows will overwrite the dual boot info in the MBR that Ubuntu put there.
  5. Reboot!
Old 31-01-2009

1. In Windows, launch Disk manager and remove every partition used by Ubuntu (root partition, swap)

2. Reboot with your Windows CD. When asked, choose "repair" and launch fixmbr. This command replaces GRUB with Windows bootloader.

3. Reboot again and you have done.
Old 31-01-2009

Back up any of your files that you want that are on the Linux partitions and. Boot to the recovery console using your XP CDROM, enter the commands "fixboot" then "fixmbr" and reboot. XP should boot, GRUB will not load at all as it should have been removed from the bootloader. Once XP has booted go to start -> run and enter "diskmgmt.msc". Look for the Linux partitions and delete and format them into NTFS or FAT32. If you're not sure which are the Linux partitions post up what you can see in the list before proceeding.

TechArena Community > Software > Operating Systems
Tags: , ,