Thread: Having problem while installing SP2

idea Having problem while installing SP2

Hello everyone,

I'm unable to install windows service pack 2 on my system, it shows me an error stating that "File Is Corrupt". It goes half way down and stop the installation process automatically. By mistake i have downloaded an application and had run without scanning it for viruses. I tried installing windows xp SP2 but it didn't work out for me. I want to install a new graphic card in my pc which requires SP2 only. Can any one help me out to resolve this problem?

Thanks in advance.

Re: Having problem while installing SP2

If you use Registry Editor incorrectly, you may cause serious problems that may require you to reinstall your operating system. Microsoft cannot guarantee that you can solve problems that result from using Registry Editor incorrectly. Use Registry Editor at your own risk.To work around this issue, examine the Svcpack.log file to find the registry keys that are causing this issue, and then modify the registry to install the service pack. To do this, follow these steps:

1. Make sure that the user who is trying to install the service pack is a member of the Administrators security group.

2. Open the Svcpack.log file. By default, this file is located in the C:\Windows folder.

3. Search the log file for references to registry permissions issues. Make a note of the registry keys that are referenced.

4. Click Start, click Run, type regedit, and then click OK to start Registry Editor.

5. Locate and right-click the registry keys that you noted in step 3 of this procedure, and then click Permissions.

6. Examine the permissions that are configured for each user or group. Identify the restricted permissions that are affecting the user who is trying to install the service pack. Make sure the Administrators group has full access configured.

7. Quit Registry Editor.

Another possible cause may be that some version of the offending file is already on the hard disk and cannot be overwritten for one reason or another. A way to get around this problem is to rename the old file on your hard disk. You can do this even while you still have the error message on your screen. Find and rename the file on your disk, then click on the Retry button in the error message dialog box.

Hey you can also follow these two steps if the installer keeps complaining about files in use or having mysterious access problems.

1. Try to install Service Pack 2 in safe mode.

2. Try to install Service Pack 2 after a clean boot.

Hope so it may help you out to install Windows Xp SP2 on your system.