Thread: DVD/CD drives not showing up in Windows

DVD/CD drives not showing up in Windows

Hi, new to this forum, really nice forum.
    I'm using windows XP. And till yesterday ,it was working fine. But now i'm facing strange problem . My DVD-drive icon is not visible in My computer. And in Divice manager is showing my sony DVD drive but with the yellow (! ) mark. What's that mean? I don't know what to do now. I have checked all the connections in my case. And When i press the DVD-drive eject-and close button it response properly. Please help!

Re: DVD/CD drives not showing up in Windows

The fix sounds complicated, but we have made it easy for you, Manually edit the registry and remove the bad values, or simply download aregistry file and merge it with your own. We urge you to backup ALL of your data beforehand. We will take no responsibility for data loss! Also, it is reccomended to backup your registry.
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/322756

• Go to start, run and type regedit. Locate the key
      Code:
      HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}.
    • Locate the values on the right for UpperFilters, and/or LowerFilters. Remove these values, then reboot your computer. Be careful here, there are very few second chances when it comes to the registry.

Refer this : http://support.microsoft.com/default...#91;LN];314060 . it might help you.
    The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits. - Albert Einstein

What we think, we become (Please don't think you are a superhero and don't try to fly)

"SUCCESS IS NOT A DESTINATION , IT'S A JOURNEY"

I had a similar issue, i tried all the registry tweaks and used all the updated drivers, but was not successful. i also tried updating the firmware of the DVD-RW but did'nt successed. However my DVD-RW was under warrant so got a replacement. When asked about the issue, they told me that it was a harware fault... My drive used to work for some time and would vanish all of a sudden... Anyways try the above methods, might help you...! all the best!

ThumbsUp Re: DVD/CD drives not showing up in Windows

I was facing the Same Problem Thnx Yaar it Solved ma Problem

I currently have a similar problem> Different facts are:
    No such value is present in this registry folder. Lower field or Upper field.
    (Default) DVD/CD ROM Drives
    (Class) CDROM
    [ EnumPropPages32 ] Mmsys.Cpl.MediaPropPageProvider
    [ Icon ] -51
    [ Installer32 ] storprop.dll,DvdClassInstaller
    [ NoInstallClass ] 1
    [ SilentInstall ] 1
    [ TroubleShooter-0 ] hcp//help/shoot/tsdrive.htm

That is all is there.

Thing is it shows in BIOS as enabled. Also in safe mode it is presant in Devise Mngr. Also accessable in My Computer for eject and works.

Out of safe mode no CD / DVD drive slot is presant at all. Everything I have tried hasn't worked.
    There must be a way though. I'll bet safe with Networking I could use it.

Any suggestions will help.

Thanks, spazpc

If you can see the CD-ROM in device manager in normal mode, try to uninstall the device and refresh the device manager so that windows detects it automatically, if ot detects the ROM then try to install the registery tweak. If nothing works try re-installing windows if the ROM works well in safe mode. all the best!

It is fixed!

No CD/DVD option was not available in usre mode, So I open manager and uninstalled the DVD RW drive in safe mode and rebooted at which time the system found the drive and re-installed it.
    I am running SATA 1 motherboard capability and IT is an Sony Optiarc drive. I am posting this for info for those who may have the same problem in the future. This drive pre-loads it's driver as do most. It wouldn't pre-load until the drive was off the sytem. (MY best Guess)
    After re-install of windows if this problem occurs Uninstalluing the drive in Dervise manager in safe mode worked for me.

System is AMD athlon HP A710n Desktop.

Thank you all for the ideas I got here