Thread: BSOD memory corruption, please help with interpreting minidump!

BSOD memory corruption, please help with interpreting minidump!

Hi everyone

I'm running a sony vaio notebook, vista home premium 32 bit, 3gb ram (2gb hynix, 1gb kingmax), intel core 2 duo t8100, ati mobility radeon x2300. I have been getting a persistent blue screen of death with the error message: "special pool detected memory corruption".

I have run the debug program and was hoping someone could kindly assist me with interpreting the minidump. The debug report says the problem is probably caused by "memory corruption". Please refer to the attached notepad file. Many thanks, from a relative computer newbie.

Re: BSOD memory corruption, please help with interpreting minidump!

It does seem to point to a ram problem. Try one stick only of the 2gb ram.. then try the other stick only. Have a look at this for the problems on "special pool detected memory corruption"
    http://www.osronline.com/DDKx/ddtools/bccodes_8yw7.htm

Look at this thread with similar problem : repeated blue screen stop error 0x50 page fault
    this will help you

Sometimes. It depends on what the actual problem is. If the driver is directly doing something like trying to read memory it's not allowed to, then it's generally easy to catch. Usually the driver wil be identified in the Blue Screen.

However if you have something like heap corruption, then the program might merely be the victim or something else corrupted the heap, and then the program tries to read it's own information back from the heap, and it's corrupt and the program doesn't know how to handle it, and crashes.

for more inquiries:

oca.microsoft.com

or

if you want to do it yourself, you can download the Windows Debugging Toolkit from www.microsoft.com/whdc/d...ing/default.mspx

try this one:

(1) Firstly , look at the corrupted section- does it resemble any of your
    structures? Does it look like pointer addresses there? If so, are they valid
    because sometimes the pool tags for the pointers can tell you who the corruptor is.

(2) Use !vtop if you can to get the physical address for this page. Is this
    address present in one of your device's DMA registers? If so, your device may have executed a transaction that should no have happened.

You have got a DMA Device writing to physical addresses it shouldn't, there's not much verifier can do to bugcheck at the time you do it- the processor is out of the loop when the corruption occurs.

Sometimes if , you add a table to driver showing the last N
    physical buffers used, so you can compare it to the place the corruption was
    detected when the bugcheck finally occurred.

Also, (IMO) it's not too likely that anything done with the IRP is the cause-
    the corruption is pretty far from the IRP itself- almost at the start of the
    page.

The verifier start option you mention (IIRC) reverses the way the page is laid
    out- your object is at the start of the page, the remainder of the page is
    filled with a pattern, and the preceding page is not present.

These options will catch you in the act of overruning or underrunning a buffer,
    but there are other corruptors they can't catch at the time they occur even
    corruption via virtual address- stale list pointers, for instance.

FWIW, you may have some other corruption problems given some of the other
    messages or this may not be a full dump.

thank you all for your replies of help.

1) As a last resort, I will run the sticks of memory separately. I won't do that for now in case its a driver type problem

There were a couple of replies that were too technical and advanced for my relatively basic computer knowledge. I would greatly appreciate any advice as to what steps I should take next. Am I taking the minidumps correctly? I ran the debugging tool for windows, then under the "file" menu, went to "open crash dump". is this correct?

any suggestions greatly appreciated, thanks all