Forgot your username/password?
Tags Active Topics RSS Search Mark Forums Read

Sponsored Links

Ubuntu on PowerPC 9600

Operating Systems

Old 24-01-2009

Ubuntu on PowerPC 9600

Hello,

Unfortunately, my PowerPC 9600 is not OSX compatible, so I would like Ubuntu, or a similarly good Linux install. Linux is totally new territory for me. This forum also. Have been here a little problem, but I'm not really become smarter.

I need the Mac mostly old files. Would therefore have the possibility of OS9, or Linux to boot.

The computer is a fairly Apple PPC 9600:
- Sonnet 1 Ghz G4 card
- 768 MB Ram
- Mac Radeon 7000 PCI 64 MB video card
- Sonnet Tempo Trio PCI card with 2 x ATA 133, 2 x Firewire 400 and 2 x USB 2.0 ports
- At the Serial ATA link exists between an GB/7200 Seagate 80 RPM and an LG DVD burner (not Apple)
- The SCSI connectors of Macs are no longer used
- Additional Gigabit PCI network adapter from Realtek
- Apple floppy drive
- An Ubuntu distribution (8.10) for the PPC already have on CD.
(I'm hard on the performance of the box thrilled - opens Word 2004 faster than my MacBook Pro, Word 2008!)

Questions:
1.)
Do I have the HD format under OS9 (if so, how?), Or can I do this during the installation?

2.)
As I unfortunately do not have functioning Apple Series CD drive longer possess, I can not boot from a CD (C button). Is it possible to install floppy disk with the Ubuntu I can install from CD.

3.)
Can I boot from CD if I have a newer Apple ATA drive installation? A SCSI I do not really want more, because now even the 3rd is broken.

4.)
Can Ubuntu on a PowerPC ?berhaupt basically boot from CD? (Apple CD drive required)

5.)
How high is the probability that the installation works. The computer is almost completely different than a standard. And you have to say is that Mac OS 9, except for the Realtek no additional driver / extensions are required and everything is automatically detected. (Well, the card processor also needs a system upgrade - but it will also no).

Thanks & Regards

Old 24-01-2009

Re: Ubuntu on PowerPC 9600

You want someone so that you every step of the installation with all possible settings here?

I think there you will find none.

But:
Yes, it works.
Abstract:
1) No matter.
2) Yes.
3) kp
4) When you: 06.2817%.
Old 24-01-2009

Re: Ubuntu on PowerPC 9600

You go to - http://en.opensuse.org/SDB:PPC:_Whic..._by_SuSE_Linux

But please use a distro that is current and PPC (openSUSE, Yellow Dog).

TechArena Community > Software > Operating Systems
Tags: , ,