Thread: Is there anyway of adding Linux to my laptop having vista install on it.

Is there anyway of adding Linux to my laptop having vista install on it?

I would like to know that, is there any way of installing Linux on my laptop? I have already install Windows Vista on it and also wants to install Linux on it. I want my laptop to work on dual boot machine. I even have ubuntu disc and wants to learn about linux. Can any one help me how to do it?

Thanks.

Re: Is there anyway of adding Linux to my laptop having vista install on it.

As you have install Windows vista on your laptop and now wants to install Linux. Follow these steps and you would easily install vista on your laptop.

As you have ubuntu disc, insert that disc in your cd-rom and reboot your machine and then from the CD select "Install Ubuntu".

Once the Live CD has been loaded, on the Welcome screen choose your language and select Forward.

Then select "Where are you" (timezone) page, select your location and then Forward.

On the next screen, choose the appropriate keyboard layout and then click on Forward.

Ubuntu will then load the disk partitioner to determine where it's going to be installed. Choose "Manual - use the largest continuous free space". This will automatically select the unpartitioned space we created earlier using the Shrink tool. Click on Forward.

On the "Who are you?" screen, enter your username and password details, then click Forward.

On the Migrate Documents and Settings screen, if Ubuntu finds any user accounts to migrate, feel free to import it from Vista to Ubuntu. If it doesn't find any, obviously this isn't an option. Click Forward.

Then On the "Ready to install" screen, you'll see that Ubuntu now has enough information to commence the installation. In the summary under Migrate Assistant, it should say "Windows Vista/Longhorn (loader)". This means that regardless of whether Ubuntu found any user account to migrate, it certainly knows that Windows Vista is installed on the other partition and is aware of it. Click Install.

See the install through and then let it boot into Ubuntu.

When the install is complete the system will reboot. When the GRUB boot menu is displayed, have a look at the last entry in the list.

After the Ubuntu boot options, there will be an entry "Other operating systems" and beneath that "Windows Vista/Longhorn loader". By default Ubuntu will load itself after 10 seconds.

Dr. V Guest

Re: Is there anyway of adding Linux to my laptop having vista install on it.

Do you have the latest Ubuntu disc, because it comes with wubi (Windows Ubuntu Installer). It's quite simple to use that particular disc, you just have to start up your vista and insert your Cd. Once it's get loaded, Wubi will start and it will automatically create a dual-boot system from within Vista. If you don't have the latest cd with you, you can download it from the wubi website.

After booting, it will give you everytime a choice of which os to boot into. It's very good and easy to use.