Thread: SBS 2003 Backup issues

SBS 2003 Backup issues

I have a client with a problem running backup on his SMS 2003 (R1, SP2) server.

The normal routine is this:

Complete system backup is each weeknight at 11:00 to an external, USB attached hard drive. Two hard drives are rotated for the backups, one for even days, one for odd days. The hard drive with the previous backup is taken off-site each day.

For about a week and a half now, we get an alert from the server with the following message: "Windows Small Business Server Backup failed (Event ID: 5634) Alert on servername"

Once the automatic backup fails, we can log into the server and run the backup manually and it completes without any error.

The backup log for the failed backup shows no details for actual backup activity, just states that the backup failed with errors.

I've checked permissions to the drive and folder and those look OK
    The backup completes successfully on even days

One thing that had changed is the original odd-day hard drive failed, and we had to replace it, but the new one worked successfully for more than a week before this started.

Any ideas?

Re: SBS 2003 Backup issues

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Kirschner View Post
    "Windows Small Business Server Backup failed (Event ID: 5634)
    When I was getting this error, I corrected it in this way,
    Using NTbackup to remove Recovery Storage Group reference from the backup selection script:
    1. Start -> Run -> NTBackup -> Advanced Mode -> Backup tab -> Job -> Load Selections.

2. Select Small Business Backup Script.bks

3. Click OK on the error message: "Some invalid selections found in C:\Program Files\Microsoft Windows Small Business Server\Backup\Small Business Backup Script.bks".

4. Job -> Save Selections.

Quote Originally Posted by MrChris- View Post
    When I was getting this error, I corrected it in this way,
    Using NTbackup to remove Recovery Storage Group reference from the backup selection script:
    1. Start -> Run -> NTBackup -> Advanced Mode -> Backup tab -> Job -> Load Selections.

2. Select Small Business Backup Script.bks

3. Click OK on the error message: "Some invalid selections found in C:\Program Files\Microsoft Windows Small Business Server\Backup\Small Business Backup Script.bks".

4. Job -> Save Selections.
    I just ran through that, we'll see if it does anything on tonight's backup. The odd day drive (the one which fails the automatic backup) was plugged in, and I didn't get the error message when I loaded the selection.

I am curious, though, if there was a problem in the script, wouldn't it evidence itself regardless of the drive used?

Thanks. I'd already found the first thread and worked through it to no avail. The second doesn't seem to contain much to help me with this at the moment.

Resolved: SBS 2003 Backup issues

OK, got that one figured out. It appears that Western Digital introduced some power management feature into the drive that was purchased to replace the older failed one. When the backup attempted to run, it could not see the target drive (it was asleep) and failed.

Of course, when I would check to see why the backup failed, my first stop was Explorer to check the drive status, whcih woke the drive up and a backup could complete.

I couldn't find a way to turn off the power management, so worked around it with a scheduled task that will run two minutes before the backup. The task runs a batch file that will run a directory of the target drive. It's worked for three backup attempts, so I'm considering it good!

Never heard about power management in the hard drives. Anyways.

Its great that you figured out the problem and attempted a successful solution for it. All is good if theres happy ending
    And what is more appreciable is that you came back here and spent your precious time to give the solution here, which can be helpful for other members having similar problems. Great