Become a Member!
Forgot your username/password?
Register Tags Active Topics RSS Search Mark Forums Read

Sponsored Links

How to Install Windows XP on Apple Powerbook G4

Operating Systems

Old 12-01-2009

How to Install Windows XP on Apple Powerbook G4

I got powerbook g4. I need to install windows xp on my Powerbook g4. I tried to install parallels but it say that i cant run this program on my mac. Please, someone know different way to get it work?!

I have PowerBook G4 1.67ghz 512mb

Old 12-01-2009

Re: How to Install Windows XP on Apple Powerbook G4

Is it an Intel Machine? If so, then yes, you can install it in a separate partition (area of memory). If not, no. If it is not an Intel processor, then it is PowerPC, and that is not compatible with Windows.
Old 12-01-2009

You can only use Virtual PC or something open source like WINE. VPC from Microsoft will run decently on that machine but it won't run anywhere close to the performance of Boot Camp or Parallels on an Intel Macbook Pro. You definitely want more than 512 MB in there.
Old 12-01-2009

In this case, best bet is to find some virtual machine emulator and install XP on it.
Or you can try remote desktop.
Old 12-01-2009

To my knowledge it's not possible....it's THEORETICALLY possible with the new intel macs...but i've not seen anywhere that's proven to be possible
Old 12-01-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lillebror View Post
In this case, best bet is to find some virtual machine emulator and install XP on it.
Can you tell me where i can get those emulators.
Old 12-01-2009

Powerbooks dont have the Intel processor so they cant run Windows natively. There is an option to buy a software called VirtualPC which will let you load WindowsXP on your Powerbook, but the performence is really really horrbile. Usable for basic things like Word and browsing, but dont expect to play games on VPC.

If you really needed to run Windows and Mac OSX both, you should have got yourself a Macbook Pro which comes with Intel chips that let you dual boot XP and OSX

Either way, while now you've got a Powerbook, which in itself is a great machine - why dont you try use OSX. Its not hard to learn and it'll do everything that Windows does and more.
Old 12-01-2009

You can use virtual pc to run windows "inside" of mac SO, but you cant run a x86 os on a ppc processor without virtual pc to emulate it. So you cant run windows alone, or in a dual boot on a g4, you can only run windows inside osx with the emulator.

TechArena Community > Software > Operating Systems
Tags: , ,