Thread: SP3 Upgrade problem with NTDLL.DLL in use

SP3 Upgrade problem with NTDLL.DLL in use

Hello,

I am hoping you may be able to tell me the reason for the NTDLL.DLL error I recieve when trying to upgrade to XP Service Pack 3. The error occurs during the performing inventory stage of the upgrade process. The error message states that the NTDLL.DLL file is open or in use by another application. This is even when I have all applications closed including the Antuivrus applications. From reading other posts I believe that I have some kind of virus or Spyware however after sweeping with both AVG Ver 8.0 and Trend Micro I have not been able to eliminate it.

I have found suspect files such as Perflib_Perfdata_974.dat under C:\windows\temp. These files cannot be removed because they are in use by some other process or application. I tried to remove them using safe mode but they do not appear when booting in Safe mode.

Any help would be greatly appreciated on this.

I have read some other posts where a scan application called Random System Information Tool (RSIT) is used to provide a detailed report on the effected PC. So I downloaded RSIT and ran it. Results of the 2 files log.txt & Info.txt are added below. Hope this helps.

Thanks again...

Re: SP3 Upgrade problem with NTDLL.DLL in use

Just realsied that the second file would not fit on my original post so here it is...

info.txt logfile of random's system information tool 1.05 2009-01-10 19:38:49

You are trying to delete in use and locked Performance Library files, so it is not a good idea to just delete things you don't recognize. No infection showing here, but too much security and one too many antivirus softwares installed. The AVG uninstall does not show in that list in the RSIT log, which suggests it was installed, and possibly somewhat corrupted, into the system running Trend already. And also parts of McAfee showing here.

Choose between those two antivirus softwares, then disable all security software and uninstall one. If AVG you may need to locate it's uninstall option through Start - Programs. Reboot after.

Then go here and follow the steps under:

Step 2 - Download and run MCPR.exe

Be sure to reboot after running that as well.

-----------------

Then open Task Manager (Ctrl - Alt - Delete), and under the Processes tab, if it shows there click to hilight update.exe, then click End Process.

Then try the upgrade again and post back if that was successful this time.

Thanks for your reply its good to hear that no infections are showing on my PC!

I have carried out the following actions:-

1. Removed Trend Micro Antivirus because it was only a trial version that I thought might help find something AVG could not.

2. Tried to clean up the old Mcaffe Anti Virus that had been removed previously. The MCPR.exe ultility would not work, error message "Mcafee Enterprise software detected cannot continue". Which is correct because I had sourced this software from my work which has an Enterprise licence for Mcafee software

So I searched the Mcaffe site for a similiar tool for the vrus Scan Enterprise Version 8.0 but could not find one. The only reference to removal was to use add remove programs or the original setup.exe file. There was no program listing in Add-Remove programs. I ran the original Mcafee setup program again but there was so software removal option. So I decided to reload the program in the hope that the uninstall option would remove it properly. I did this but the clean up seemed no better.

I noticed that one of the Mcaffe files UpdaterUi.exe was in the Start up program so I removed it from the start list. I also noticed that there are a lot of the old Mcafee files stored under the following directory C:\Program Files\Network Associates\Common Framework. I am not certain whether removing them will help so I left them alone.

3. I checked the Task Manager as recomended and the updater.exe process was only active when attempting to install the SP3 update. I ended the process which cancelled the update and then tried the update again. Unfortunately with no success.

I still get the same error message about the NTDLL.DLL file.

I hope I have carried out your instructions correctly.

Please let me know what else I can try.

Tougher when private users get copies of corporate user security softwares, as it takes away many of the options we usually have at hand.

Go here and download Dial-a-fix-v0.60.0.24.zip (scroll down to the "green" box"), then unzip that to the desktop. In the Dial-a-fix folder locate and click on Dial-a-fix.exe to open the tool display.

Under WU/WUAU place a check in the following box:

Fix Windows Update

Then click:

Flush SoftwareDistribution

And select NO, which will allow it to also remove any older stored update history data.

Then click the GO button. Your desktop should flicker, and a small blue progress bar in the lower corner of the display will show until the repair completes. Then click Exit to close the display.

Reboot and try the update again and post back if that worked please.

Hi

I followed these instructions which all seemed to execute properly. I even had to download SP3 again using Windows update. (Indicating a complete flush). Unfortunately I get the same SP 3 upgrade error about the NTDLL.DLL file being in use.

Was there ever a solution to this issue? I'm experiencing the same error: "...ntdll.dll is in use..." I am also trying to install XP service pack 3

Thanks!