Thread: Mcshield.exe - 100% CPU usage at startup

Mcshield.exe - 100% CPU usage at startup

From many days now, I am experiencing an new problem with my computer. And it is that my computer running extremely slow when I start it. I have to wait for long time till its operation comes to somewhat normal. Also afterwards, I noticed my system lagging while playing videos.

Therefore I checked my Task Manager, and it shows Mcshield.exe utilizing 100 cpu. I was told by my friend to defragment all the partitions that will help. I did, but it didnt help. So I am screwed up with my PC taking a lot of time. How can I fix this problem?

Re: Mcshield.exe - 100% CPU usage at startup

"mcshield.exe" is the McAfee On-Access Antivirus Scanner from Network Associates, Inc. This file runs as a service and uses lots of processor time even when the active virus scan is disabled. It's not worth it.

I found that problem was normally caused by either two ePO agents on the pc (v2.x and v3.x). Or the presence of an NAIFFFF.evt file in the events folder in the epo agent directory. Deletion of all NAIxxxx.evt files and reboot normally sorts it out... As does removal of the ePO 2.x agent if it is present (aginst32.exe /remove)

This is part of McAfee Virus Scan. Mcshield.exe constantly monitors your computer's running processes, accessed file and registry to detect virus activity. It is one of the core components to the virus protection offered by the McAfee virus scanning software and should not be stopped. If it is stopped your computer will not be protected from viruses. Mcshield.exe is flagged as a system process and does not appear to be a security risk. However, removing McAfee Shield may adversly impact your system.

It seems you are using McAfee's Internet Security suite. Is this correct?

Try this -
    1. CTRL ALT DEL to bring up task manager.
    2. Kill the process Mcshield.exe so you can use your computer.
    3. Uninstall McAfee's Internet Security Suite.
    4. Reboot and Mcshield shouldn't be running now.
    5. Reinstall McAfee's Internet Security Suite. Reboot.
    6. Did this fix it?

I opened up the security center and disabled virus scan and it stopped. I observed that it only does this when I'm logged on as admin. I use a limited account for all of my internet stuff except to get updates.

I found that it be caused by having virus scans run at times when the pc was shut off. It runs the task as soon as the pc is turned on. It will run all of them over and over. Simple fix, dont have the task scheduled if your machine will be shutdown at that time.

Only when I installed the latest version of McAfee did this begin, and it is driving me crazy. Also causes partition problems in my external drives, so that they are not recognized, from time to time.

Incase if it is a temporary issue, we wish to inform you that the On-Access Scanner feature & the possibility of large number of files being accessed at time when this issue appeared.

If the issue is permanent right after installation then please go ahead with following, it seems that some of the files of McAfee VirusScan are conflicting or corrupted that is why you are facing this issue. In order to fix the above issue, you need to uninstall McAfee VirusScan software from the system completely including its registry entries and after that reinstall it again.

Instructions for the manual removal of VirusScan are give below,
    http://tools.mcafeehelp.com/doc.php?...541&support=ts

You can follow the instructions given in the link below for installing the VirusScan,
    http://tools.mcafeehelp.com/doc.php?...902&support=ts

I would just like to say, that i also purchased McAfee Internet Security Suite, and it used 100% of my system resources as well. I tried everything to get it working without using all of my processor speed. I eventually uninstalled it, contacted McAfee, and got my money back. I then downloaded AVG Free, and just used McAfee Firewall (Which i got free from my ISP).

I tried to do a manual uninstall. Following the instructions from the above links. I did the first part that has to do with the regedit. Then i suppost to delete any temp files on my c: drive, didnt find any. then I am to go to c:/program files/Mcafee.com and delete the vso and shared folders. When i try and delete them I get an error ... access denied, cannot delete some kind of a .dll file. I tried in safe mode as admin., same thing happened. So I finished deleting everything else and removed the activex components. Then reinstalled and ran the update from the security center.