Go Back   TechArena Community > Software > Operating Systems
Become a Member!
Forgot your username/password?
Tags Active Topics RSS Search Mark Forums Read

Sponsored Links



Airtel GPRS on Linux with Nokia Phone

Operating Systems


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
  #1  
Old 07-01-2009
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 50
question Airtel GPRS on Linux with Nokia Phone
  

Hey guys i use ubuntu linux. i have a nokia phone and is recognised by the ubuntu linux as a modem. but how do i use the airtel gprs mobile office to connect to the internet...
thanks in advance..!

Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 07-01-2009
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 178
ThumbsUp Re: Internet on Linux using nokia phone via Airtel GPRS

You need to download wvdial for ubuntu which is a PPP dialer.

install the wvdial package & do the following configurations :
  • Open terminal and type "wvdialconf" without quotes. This searches for the modem and writes a config file to the /etc/wvdial.conf.
  • open this file "/etc/wvdial.conf" with administrators rights so that u can save changes made to it.
  • replace the entire content with the following code :

Code:
[Dialer Defaults]
Init1 = AT+CGDCONT=1,?IP?,?airtelgprs.com?,?",0,0
Init2 = ATQ0 V1 E1 S0=0 &C1 &D2 +FCLASS=0
stupid mode = 1
Modem Type = USB Modem
Baud = 460800
New PPPD = yes
Modem = /dev/ttyACM0
ISDN = 0
Phone = *99#
Password = TechArena
Username = TechArena
  • now save the "wvdial.conf" file that u just modified.
  • now open terminal and type wvdial.
  • you are connected!
All the best.

Last edited by Zipp : 07-01-2009 at 10:37 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 27-01-2009
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 1
Re: Airtel GPRS on Linux with Nokia Phone

I hav done it on red hat nd i thnk it wud also wrk on ur linux os, i use to connect my phone through data cable, there are different settings using bluetooth

1. Open terminal nd type
wvdialconf /etc/wvdial.conf
It wud detect ur mobile phone as modem
2. Then type
vi /etc/wvdial.conf
and edit following lines

Phone = *99***1#
Password = root
Username = redhat

Then save and quit this file.
3. then type
wvdial
and press enter, it wud giv u ip of primary nd secondary domain
4. Edit vi /etc/resolv.conf
nameserver 202.....(whatevr it is)
nameserver 202.....
nw save and quit.
5. and nw u can use internet.........

Last edited by vikas sinha : 27-01-2009 at 02:46 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 30-01-2011
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 6
Re: Airtel GPRS on Linux with Nokia Phone

guys when i click on download wvdial for ubuntu it shows some errors. what shall i do now
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 30-01-2011
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 1,728
Re: Airtel GPRS on Linux with Nokia Phone

Quote:
Originally Posted by ct.muthumani View Post
guys when i click on download wvdial for ubuntu it shows some errors. what shall i do now
What type of error you are getting, when you are trying to download the wvdial, can you specify? I found some intructions on how to get this file generated here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wvdial
You may have to use sudo while running those command. Check the below command for the same.

locate wvdial.conf

or

sudo apt-get install wvdial
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 31-01-2011
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 6
Re: Airtel GPRS on Linux with Nokia Phone

Quote:
Originally Posted by james_911 View Post
What type of error you are getting, when you are trying to download the wvdial, can you specify? I found some intructions on how to get this file generated here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wvdial
You may have to use sudo while running those command. Check the below command for the same.

locate wvdial.conf

or

sudo apt-get install wvdial

This is wat i get when i click to download wvdial "two or more packages specified (wvdial feisty)"

Last edited by ct.muthumani : 31-01-2011 at 10:28 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 01-02-2011
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 6
Re: Internet on Linux using nokia phone via Airtel GPRS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zipp View Post
You need to download wvdial for ubuntu which is a PPP dialer.

install the wvdial package & do the following configurations :
  • Open terminal and type "wvdialconf" without quotes. This searches for the modem and writes a config file to the /etc/wvdial.conf.
  • open this file "/etc/wvdial.conf" with administrators rights so that u can save changes made to it.
  • replace the entire content with the following code :

Code:
[Dialer Defaults]
Init1 = AT+CGDCONT=1,?IP?,?airtelgprs.com?,?",0,0
Init2 = ATQ0 V1 E1 S0=0 &C1 &D2 +FCLASS=0
stupid mode = 1
Modem Type = USB Modem
Baud = 460800
New PPPD = yes
Modem = /dev/ttyACM0
ISDN = 0
Phone = *99#
Password = TechArena
Username = TechArena
  • now save the "wvdial.conf" file that u just modified.
  • now open terminal and type wvdial.
  • you are connected!
All the best.

this is wat i get when i click on ur link download wvdial for ubuntu "two or more packages specified (wvdial feisty)"
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 14-05-2011
Member
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 1
question Re: Airtel GPRS on Linux with Nokia Phone

I have connected and also configured resolv.conf but my firefox browser is not able to connect to sites........
pls. check my resolv.conf content
nameserver <airtel server ip address>
nameserver <airtel server ip address>
Reply With Quote
Reply

  TechArena Community > Software > Operating Systems
Tags: , , , ,



Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads for: "Airtel GPRS on Linux with Nokia Phone"
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Which is the best Airtel GPRS or Idea GPRS RohanS India BroadBand 4 09-05-2012 10:20 AM
Free gprs settings for idea, hutch, airtel, bsnl, airtel live, airtel mobile configure manually Abdullah India BroadBand 4 09-05-2012 10:19 AM
Airtel 3G settings and Tariff for the Nokia phone Edgar Arular India BroadBand 6 13-04-2011 11:40 AM
Airtel Gprs or Aircel Gprs S-Waugh India BroadBand 5 09-11-2010 06:17 AM
Airtel GPRS Setting in chinese phone jadhavhm Portable Devices 3 12-10-2010 04:54 PM


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 09:17 AM.