Thread: OS recovery

OS recovery

I ran a scan with Trojan Remover. It renamed 45 different files. About half were because it found evidences of Trojan.backdoor and the other hlf were because of PUS.Antivirus2009. After turning off the machine after that session, I have not been able to boot. Originally it would not boot and I got these messages. Cannot start winlogon.exe because file shell32.dll cannot be found. It also said cannot start lsass.exe for the same reason. it then went to a message that said it could not find msgina.dll and asked if I would like to restart. Well after spending some time locating a Window XP Home setup CD, that problem has changedd throught the use of the Recovery Console and much help from a friend to the machine getting a black screen with just the cursor on it. It goes through the windows logo screen on the way to this point so I am assuming that the monitor is still functional. The monitor is a Compaq S710 and when I tried to boot with various combos of the setup disk, a boot disk with SP2 on it copied from the Microsoft site on another machine and the 3.5 floppy that came with the monitor all to no avail. Sometimes, but not all the time, I get an Stop: 0X0000006F error but not everytime. It will always tell me that the 3.5 compaq disk is not compatible and to remove it but it is the only software from Compaq that I have so I am assuming it the one that came with my monitor, I do not really recall it. Has anyone out there had or heard of anything like my problem? I have been told that my HD is fine and there are some things on it that are not backed up andthat I really do not want to lose. I have tried all of the F8 and F11 options too. Thanks in advance

Re: OS recovery

Did you removed the virus ?

if you're encountering this stop 0x0000006F error, it may be a small smudge or scratch on the disk. Try cleaning it.

If that doesn't work, you may need to obtain a CD drive lens cleaner (basically a CD with a small brush on the underside that cleans the CD-ROM drive laser lens) or try a new CD or DVD drive.

That is just what I did,(clean the disk), still got black screen with cursor only.
    Getting HD cleaned and then reinstalling OS. Guess all my programs are goners. Thanks for the info

This problem also occurs after you upgrade your Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition-based computer to Microsoft Windows XP Professional, you may experience one or more of the following behaviors:

• When you start the computer, the display turns black with a large white pointer.
    • You cannot increase the screen resolution to higher than 640 × 480 pixels.

To resolve this issue, follow these steps.
    Step 1: Restart Windows in safe mode

1. Restart the computer. After the Power On Self Test (POST), press the F8 key.
    2. On the Windows Advanced Options Menu, use the ARROW keys to select Safe Mode, and then press ENTER.
    3. If you are prompted to select the operating system to start, select Microsoft Windows XP edition (where edition is the edition of Windows XP that is installed), and then press ENTER.
    4. On the To begin, click your user name page, click Administrator.
    5. Type the administrator password, and then click the arrow button.

Note In some cases, the Administrator password may be set to a blank password. In this case, do not type a password before you click the arrow button.
    6. Click Yes to close the message that states that Windows is running in safe mode.

For more information please visit:
    Black screen on startup after you upgrade to Windows XP Professional