Thread: How to upgrade windows 98 to xp?

How to upgrade windows 98 to xp?

Hi,
    I have a windows 98 operating system in my pc, but when i connect any new hardware device it will not take the drivers automatically. Therefore now i am planning to install windows xp, but i don't have any idea about how to upgrade it. will you please help me out for this?

Re: How to upgrade windows 98 to xp?

If you want to upgrade your system to Windows XP, the first thing you need to do is verify that it meets the system requirements for the newer operating system.
    and then You can install the windows xp directly with the help of the bootable cd.

Re: How to upgrade windows 98 to xp?

system requirements for windows xp is,

Windows 98 or later version of Microsoft Windows operating system. You can't upgrade from Windows 95 or earlier versions.
    At least a 233Mhz processor. Any manufacturer (AMD, Intel, IBM, VIA, etc.) will do.
    At least 128MB of system memory.
    1.5 Gigabytes of free hard drive space (note that you should have at least 3 gigabytes if you want to do any meaningful work with your system after the upgrade).
    A CD-Rom or CD/RW drive.
    Mouse and keyboard (either USB or PS/2).
    A video adaptor and monitor capable of displaying 800x600 resolution. If you are not sure about this, change the resolution within Windows 98 by right clicking on an empty area of the desktop and selecting 'properties' then going to the 'settings' tab. The resolution slider is at the bottom left. Set it to '800x600' and click 'apply.' If your screen is still legible, you are fine. If the 800x600 option is unavailable, you may need to upgrade your video adaptor before upgrading Windows.
    Note that if the screen becomes scrambled, blank or unreadable, you will probably need a new monitor as your current one cannot handle the required resolution