Thread: Vista setup Hell

Vista setup Hell

I have just purchased a new system with an AMD tri core processor and a Gigabyte motherboard 7400 series.

I first installed Vista Ultimate 32 bit version, for which the installation went on pretty smoothly in the second try. I was able to load all my drivers, upgrade to vista sp1 and download and install all updates.

I then restarted the system after installing Windows updates and ATI device driver updates, this is when the troubles started.

Vista could not restart, i was being taken to the GRUB loader with an error that bootmgr was not found.

I tred to do a startup repair using the vista CD , which said repair sucessful but i still got the same error.

I tried to re-install windows but then it wouldnt let me format my drives too, giving an erorr that system information could not be found in the partition.

I used an old Win Xp disk to delete all partitions and reformat my drives.

I now installed Vista ultimate 64 bit, which installted fine, but as soon as i loaded the ATI drivers the Operating system conked up again.

Fed up all this I installed Ubuntu, which installed and worked well.

I now want to install Vista 32 bit again, the install DVD now gets stuck at Completing Installation. I am going to try with a new installation media.

Has anyone else seen similar issues, please help.

Re: Vista setup Hell

you can often fix it right back up using the original Vista installation disk, which comes with a pretty extensive System Recovery Tool that's got lots of options. Set your computer to boot from DVD (using the Boot setting in the BIOS), insert the disc and restart. Vista will prompt you for language and keyboard layout options, then ask if you want to reinstall Vista or repair your installation. You want Repair. From there Vista's System Recovery Tool will take over, and lead you down the road to happy vistages again.
    OR
    Alternatively you could choose the Command Prompt option instead, and use the following command to fix the boot options only:
    Code:
    bootrec /fixboot
    At this point you should be able to reboot your computer, remove the DVD and everything should be working.

Hope this has been a help

Thank you for the replies.

I was able to install Windows Vista Ultimate 32 bit with SP1. All went smoothly till i installed the Motherboard drivers. ( GA-MA78GM-S2H Rev 1.1)

Viste wouldn't boot in normal mode and came up with a blue screen. Safe mode works. Uninstalling the Graphics driver works.

So i guess the issue is with the graphics driver or hardware.

I came across some information on the net where they have mentioned that keeping the Hrd Disk in Ide mode woud help. I am going to try that tomorrow.

By the way I have tried using the latest drivers for the motherboard by downloading them. Bios is fairly updated (F4) where the latest is (F5).

Thanks agian for looking and responding.

It turned out to be a hardware issue , replacing the mother board did the trick.

thnk u all who responded

Quote Originally Posted by prasadrai View Post
    It turned out to be a hardware issue , replacing the mother board did the trick.

thnk u all who responded
    Glad that your problem is solved. Have a nice time.