Thread: Two Operating systems on same PC

Two Operating systems on same PC

I'm about to configure a new PC for my home office. My idea might be strange and I don't kno whether it's possible. I need your advice whether such a system is possible:

I will configure a new PC (Intel i7 920, 6GB Ram) with 3 HDs (2x250 GB, 1x1TB).
    I want to use the 1TB for most of my data (large imge databases, engineering database) and back-up of e-mails and most important data.
    One of the 250GB HDs should be loaded with a version of Vista 64bit and my application software. It should also contain MS office files, emails and other day to day files.
    Now the part where I'm not so sure whether that works: The other 250 GB HD should run a version of Vista 32bit of XP Pro 32bit and most of my software. I have still drivers and some applications that only work with 32bit.
    What I want to be able to do is that at system start-up I can select which HD or which system to boot with.

Anyone got an idea whether something like that is possible?

Re: Two Operating systems on same PC

You have 3 os's listed. In a word....yes. I have several times had multiple os's loades. XP pro....Vista....and linux. I have 3 hard drives each partitioned into 2 drives each looking like a total of 6 drives in my system. But , ...each os has to have the apps loaded on the same drive. You cannot load the apps on one os and "share " them amonst the other os's.

wareup Guest

have you heard of virtual pc 2007? this is very good for your idea, 2 computers can be simultaneously working.

I hope this helps

@ Bernd Mechsner

Its absolutely possible. You can load operating system on 2 different drives easily. And windows automatically detects the windows operating systems on startup and gives an option of selecting the 1 you want.

As you have explained, Vista 64 bit seems to be your primary OS and Vista/XP 32 bit for other purposes only. So you can keep the default as Vista 64 and whenever you want to go to other, you can select the other OS during startup.

And yes, about your System....Its Rockin'

Quote Originally Posted by grizz699 View Post
    But , ...each os has to have the apps loaded on the same drive. You cannot load the apps on one os and "share " them amonst the other os's.
    Thats true Be careful when you install 2 OS on the same system, as there is a good chance for messing everything up. With something like Vista, which needs a huge amount of resources to function properly, and has the habit of securing the Boot Sectors on your HDD, can become quite strenuous to deal with, especially when run in conjunction with XP.

Remember, Vista and XP combined can take upto to almost 10 GB of your HDD space. Your system is very good though, so you dont need to worry about space