Thread: .db files replicated over the system!

.db files replicated over the system!

Hi Friends,
    I have very strange problem related to my computer, may be it has related to the OS of my system.

I am seeing this file named desktop in every folder of my system where ever I Visit and there is also one more file in some of the folder.
    The problem is that whenever I try to delete these or to open these extra files it gives me the following error message.
    caution
    you are attempting to open a file of type 'Data Base file'(.db)

These files are used by the operating system and by various programs. Editing or modifying them could damage your system.

If you stil want to open the file, click open with,otherwise click cancel.

[.ShellClassInfo]
    LocalizedResourceName=@shell32.dll,-21765
    I also notice that, whatever files i visit I creates a copy of that same files and it all links to the Desktop where there is same file is available.My worry is that if sometime bymistakenly anyone delete this file then I cannot boot my computer.

Is anyone come across such kind of problem before, please help me, it becomes very irritating to me.

Thanks

Re: .db files replicated over the system!

Is it some what abnormal that u seeing them every folder of your system. But I don't think so it will harm your system any way but have you observe any other abnormal behavior in your system? if so then may be its coz of virus. Scan your system with good Anti-virus utility .And also perform the Disk Cleanup in all your partitions by right click-> properties .

Dr. V Guest

Hi , You Dont need woory about .Db files as they are Normally support files use By Windows On Microsoft Windows operating systems, a thumbnail cache is a file used to store thumbnail images for Windows Explorer's thumbnail view. This speeds up the display of images as the smaller images do not need to be recalculated every time the user views the folder.

Thumbs.db files are stored in each directory that contains pictures or movies on Microsoft Windows NT versions prior to Vista. The file is created locally among the images, however, preventing system wide use of the data and creating additional data load on removable devices.[1] Windows XP Media Center Edition also creates ehthumbs.db which holds previews of video files. Each thumbnail created in a directory is represented in this database file as a small JPEG file, regardless of the file's original format. The images are resized to a maximum of 96×96 pixels, or a proportional miniature of their original shape for non-square images, with 96 pixels on the longer side. Each folder with initiated thumbnail views (that is where they have displayed a Thumbnails or Filmstrip view in Windows Explorer) will have a Thumbs.db file. Folders with pictures also display previews on their icon when displayed in Thumbnail mode – the first four images in the folder at 40×40 pixels (or proportionally shaped), with a 1-pixel divider overlaid on a standard large folder icon. The Thumbs.db file is stored in OLE Compound Document format, the same format that many Microsoft Office products use

Thanks all of you,

Can you guys tell me how to do that, please be more elaborative, I am new to this problems

Thanks once again..

Quote Originally Posted by Aditya kumar View Post
    Thanks all of you,

Can you guys tell me how to do that, please be more elaborative, I am new to this problems

Thanks once again..
    Ok if you Want to Disable this Service then you can Follow This steps

To stop your computer from generating and regenerating future Thumbs.db files, do the following:

If you’re on the desktop…

• Click Start
    • Double-click Control Panel
    • Double-click Folder Options

Or, if you have My Computer open and are browsing any folder in your system…

• Click Tools (next to File, Edit, View at the top of the screen)
    • Click Folder Options

After performing either of those two operations, the “Folder Options” window will open up.

1. Click on the View tab
    2. Check off the circle next to Do not cache thumbnails
    3. Click the Ok button

Once you click the Ok button, your computer will cease to generate Thumbs.db files. If you delete any of the existing Thumbs.db files, they will not return. Be forewarned though, if you browse a folder that contains a large quantity of image files (or extremely large image files), it will take a long time for that folder to load even if you have previously browsed it because the thumbnail images will not have been cached in Thumbs.db.