Thread: Failer to Restart & Shut Down in Windows Server 2003 SP2?

unsure Failer to Restart & Shut Down in Windows Server 2003 SP2?

Hi all

This weekend i install the Windows Server 2003 SP2 and ms sql server 2005.
    i restart or shut down the computer,its can't do properly , hang it.

How can i solve this issue?

if any suggestion appreciate

Thanks

shangar

Re: Failer to Restart & Shut Down in Windows Server 2003 SP2?

need spec on system?
    p2? p3? AMD? ram?
    we don't know what to help with if we don't know what your running?

Maybe you should stop as many services as possible and try then to shutdown. If the shutdown works, one of your services prevents the shutdown to work.
    Then try to stop less services and try to shutdown. Try it until you identify the services which prevents the shutdown.
    It'll take some time, but maybe you'll find out that special service.

Or you could create a batch file that stops as many services as possible und then initiate a shutdown.

It seems that it's an issue with storport.sys & QLogic HBAs. Microsoft has acknowledged the issue and have released a patch for it:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/935919

I've applied the patch and it worked (from the 2nd reboot). Note that mine used to take about 5 mins to reboot, but would eventually get there.

Quote Originally Posted by Shangar View Post
    Hi all

This weekend i install the Windows Server 2003 SP2 and ms sql server 2005.
    i restart or shut down the computer,its can't do properly , hang it.

How can i solve this issue?

if any suggestion appreciate

Thanks

shangar
    Known Issues for Managing Resets, Startup, and Shutdown

Review the following known issues before you manage Windows Firewall resets, startup, and shutdown.

• Make sure the Windows Firewall/Internet Connection Sharing service is running before you start any programs or system services that are listed in the program exceptions list. If you start the Windows Firewall/Internet Connection Sharing service after you have started programs that are listed in the Windows Firewall exceptions list, restart your computer and then start your programs and system services. Windows Firewall cannot track the state of a program's traffic if the program is started before you start the Windows Firewall/Internet Connection Sharing service.

• Do not run Windows Firewall if you are running Routing and Remote Access. Routing and Remote Access uses a firewall that cannot be used with Windows Firewall. For more information, see Basic Firewall on the Microsoft Web site (http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=43159).

• Do not run Windows Firewall on a server that is running a perimeter firewall, such as Microsoft Internet Security and Acceleration (ISA) Server 2004. The protection that Windows Firewall provides in this situation is redundant and unnecessary. In addition, Windows Firewall can cause perimeter firewalls such as ISA Server to function improperly.

• Do not permanently run Windows Firewall on a domain controller. Instead, use Internet Protocol security (IPsec) to protect incoming traffic on a domain controller. You can use Windows Firewall on a temporary basis (for example, to protect a domain controller from attack while you install security updates, virus signatures, or security software).

• Do not use Windows Firewall on a computer that is running a non-Microsoft host firewall. Although it is possible to run two host firewalls on a single computer, it is not recommended that you do so. Host firewall implementations vary widely and there is no guarantee that a non-Microsoft host firewall and Windows Firewall will work well together.

• Do not change the Startup type or status of any service on which Windows Firewall relies. Changing the Startup type or status of a dependent service can prevent Windows Firewall from starting or running properly. For more information about these dependent services, see the section titled "How Windows Firewall Works" in the Windows Firewall Technical Reference on the Microsoft Web site (http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=42729).

• You might not be able to start Windows Firewall if Administrative Templates from the Windows XP Security Guide were applied to the computer before Windows XP with Service Pack 2 (SP2) was installed. For more information, see article ID 892199 on the Microsoft Web site (http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=45337). The article describes why the Windows Firewall/Internet Connection Sharing service might not start and how you can configure the service so it behaves properly when you use Administrative Templates.

• When you reset Windows Firewall, the settings that you specified in Netfw.inf are reapplied to the computer; all existing Windows Firewall settings are deleted. Any Windows Firewall settings that you specified in an answer file, such as Unattend.txt, are deleted and are not restored. If you want to restore the Windows Firewall settings that you configured during installation with an answer file, you must configure the settings manually.