Thread: unknown fileformat

mskumar220283 Guest

question unknown fileformat

i received a file in mail which has no extention and when i try to open it it is asking to select from the list of programmes i have tried many but no use can any one help

Re: unknown fileformat

Quote Originally Posted by mskumar220283 View Post
    i received a file in mail which has no extention and when i try to open it it is asking to select from the list of programmes i have tried many but no use can any one help
    What kind of you were told you would Be receiving in that mails . if it is Document then most probably it would be .doc , .txt , .pdf . try changing file to this format the open it.

mskumar220283 Guest

i wasnt told of any format is their any to find without asking the sender

Well Actually You can find Files extension using this Software

Here is the Link Please Refer it.

How to Identify Unknown Files Types in Windows & Linux

mskumar220283 Guest

pls guide me how to use this utility

mskumar220283 Guest

i hav tried in dos mode but unable to do the job pls give me the syntax

Well, it can a be a virus file so dont take the chance of renaming its extension or so. Scan it with any anti virus software and if you are saying that it came out in an unknown email then I recommend you to delete it asap.

The drag-and-drop to a DOS box works, but all it really does is show you the extension of the file when Explorer is configured to hide extensions. Personally, I always set Explorer to show extensions (from Explorer, go to Tools, Options, View and uncheck "Hide extensions for known file types"). If the file has no extension, dragging to a DOS box won't help. As Platypus says, you'll have to open it in something else to look at the raw data.

A quick tool to do this with is the build in Edit command. Just open a Command prompt window, change to the folder where the file is (or use the "Cmd Prompt Here" tool), then run "edit /70 filename". (The /70 switch forces a 70 column mode so you don't have to scroll left and right, change it to suit your preference). Look at the first few bytes, they will often reveal the file type. For example, ZIP files typically have the letters "PK" as the first 2 characters, PDF files will usually start with "%PDF-", etc. If it all looks like gibberish, scroll though the file and look for plain-text strings. Microsft Word files will usually have the string "Microsft Word Document", "MSWordDoc" or "Word.Document" somewhere in them. Ditto for Excel files. JPG's may have JPEG or JFIF close to the top of the file, GIFs may have "GIF89". Many executable files will have "MZ" at the top, or the string "This file cannot be run in DOS mode". If you see the string "Standard Jet DB", it most likely an Acess database, etc, etc. I'm sure you get the idea.

I'd say most files will contain something that reveals what type of file they are, but not all. Some programs rely solely on the extension given to the file to determine how to open the file. In those cases, you have quite a challenge ahead of you. Good luck!

TrIDNET - File Identifier
    Try this utility. Excellent program for knowing unknown file types.