Thread: What is Intel and ATI under GNU / Linux?

What is Intel and ATI under GNU / Linux?

Hello all,

After the recent announcements of nVidia on defects in some of their cards, which I am by nature quite cautious, I would like to know what is in competition, which runs under GNU / Linux.

On the one hand at Intel: the graphics drivers are under GPL and are apparently very good, but the cards themselves are relatively strong.
    It's quite difficult to find and bench testing of Intel, so I would like to know what game it is possible to run with for example the HD new x4500M on centrino 2.

Then at ATI hardware side cards are powerful, but later drivers for Linux ...

I had a bad experience with ATI few years ago, is it that since pilots are better?

For example on my desktop with a 8600GTS, I turn with CoD4 wine with the settings.

Is an ATI driver with GNU / Linux will allow me to run CoD4? if so at what model?

Thank you in advance for your answers.

Re: What is Intel and ATI under GNU / Linux?

Ati has greatly improved since the takeover by AMD, Linux drivers are finally became easy to install, there is also a very good tutorial on the doc ubuntu.

For Intel chipsets are then integrated performance, you can always wait.

Then wine is not the best software to play and the more it is not for this, you can not play, but not expect to have 200 fps and above all I doubt that you can play 1920x1200.

So Ati drivers for Linux so it works (not too badly).

ATI has stopped its support for its drivers for Linux, the current drivers are provided by the community but do not form part of all possibilities of the card. But this is more than enough for what we do on Linux (given the limited number extreme game above). Finally we are very far from the quality of drivers on Windows ...

Thank you for your responses.

I thought: ATI avoided if one wants to use 3D (games, not just compiz) under GNU / Linux.

Otherwise on Intel and especially the new X4500HD under centrino2, what recent games can you run?

Other programs that WINE to play in GNU / Linux?
    ... If you think about Cedega, Crossover, ..... they are all based on WINE, so in the end ...

with the X4500 which is also integrated chipset it seems to me you will frankly not far mainly on the recent games ...