Thread: How do I Reboot my Desktop without a Windows installation CD?

How do I Reboot my Desktop without a Windows installation CD?

Blue Screen of Death: UNMOUNTABLE_BOOT_VOLUME

After going to this website http://support.microsoft.com/kb/555302 I found that I need to use a Windows XP CD-ROM, but i don't have the cd to install . so how i can reboot without the CD

Dr. V Guest

Re: How do I Reboot my Desktop without a Windows installation CD?

• Copy the i386 folder (and contents) on the hard drive, preferably at the root of [C].
    • This makes it necessary to modify the registry by specifying the new path files.
    • Edit the registry (Start> Run and type regedit and then Enter) and then open the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE / Software / Microsoft / Windows NT / CurrentVersion.
    • Double click the value then key SourcePath the i386 folder on your hard disk (for example: C: \ i386).
    • Close the Registry Editor and restart your computer to apply the change

Re: How do I Reboot my Desktop without a Windows installation CD?

Steps to Creating a Bootable Windows Setup Disk from the I386 Directory/Folder

1. Create a temporary working folder at the root (top) of the C: drive called "XPSETUP" (without the quotes). Actually, you can name it anything you want and put it anywhere you like, but for ease of explanation, the remainder of the steps below will assume that you have created the XPSETUP folder in the root of drive C:. This C:\XPSETUP folder will be where you will create the CDROM directory structure for your bootable Windows CD.

2.Copy the entire C:\I386 to C:\XPSETUP. When you have finished, you will have C:\XPSETUP\I386. Notice that I said "copy", not "move". Do NOT drag and drop the I386 folder into the XPSETUP directory. If you do so, you may end up moving it into the XPSETUP folder (depending on where you created the XPSETUP folder). It is important to work from a copy of the I386 directory so that if you make mistakes, you can simply go back and start all over again. If you move the directory or drag and drop it, and you make a mistake, your mistake will be permanent. So once again, COPY the entire I386 folder to XPSETUP. It may take a while for the copy operation to complete, but it's safer this way.

If you're not sure how to copy, follow the following procedure: Highlight the I386 folder using Windows Explorer. Right-click the folder and select "Copy". Then open the XPSETUP folder. The folder should be empty at the moment. Right click the empty space in the window and click "Paste". A very lengthy copy procedure will take place.

To verify that you have copied the folder and not moved it, return to the top of C: and check that the I386 folder is still there and that the original files in that folder are still there.

3.Create an ASCII text file with only the word "Windows " (without the quotes and including the final space after the word "Windows") in it, followed by a new line. To do this, open up Notepad. Notepad can be found in your Start menu -> Programs -> Accessories -> Notepad. Type the word "Windows" without the quotes and following my case exactly (that is, "W" is a capital letter and the rest are in small letters). Then type one additional space. Finally, hit the ENTER key. Do not add anything else to this file. Do not change anything - for example, do not type everything in capital letters or anything like that. The contents of the file must be exactly as I said, or Windows setup will issue an error message.

Save the file with the filename "WIN51" (include the quotes so that Notepad will not add a ".txt" extension behind your back) in C:\XPSETUP. Again, the filename's spelling and case must be exactly like mine.

If your PC or laptop originally came with XP Home, make a copy of the file you just created and call it "WIN51IC". If you are using XP Home Service Pack 1 (SP 1), make two copies of the file and call them "WIN51IC" and "WIN51IC.SP1". If you are using XP Home Service Pack 2 (SP 2), make three copies of the file and call them "WIN51IC", "WIN51IC.SP1" and "WIN51IC.SP2". All the copies of the files should be in C:\XPSETUP.

If your PC or laptop originally came with XP Professional, make a copy of the file you just created and call it "WIN51IP". If you are using XP Professional Service Pack 1 (SP 1), make two copies of the file and call them "WIN51IP" and "WIN51IP.SP1". If you are using XP Professional Service Pack 2 (SP 2), make three copies of the file and call them "WIN51IP", "WIN51IP.SP1" and "WIN51IP.SP2". All the copies of the files should be in C:\XPSETUP.

Note carefully what I said above. You may be running XP SP 2 now, but if your PC came with XP SP 1, you should create the files for XP SP 1. There is an exception to this. If your PC or laptop came with XP or XP SP 1, but you want your Windows install CD to install XP SP 2, create the WIN51 files needed for SP 2 and follow the procedure for slipstreaming Windows service pack 2 (SP 2) into the Windows setup CDROM given in the next step.

4.If your PC or laptop came originally with XP or XP SP 1 (service pack 1) but you want your Windows setup disk to install XP SP 2, do the following. Otherwise, skip to the next step.

Note that even if you have since updated your computer to SP 2, you will still need to do this step if you want your setup CD to install Windows XP Service Pack 2. The reason is that updating your running Windows system does not automatically update the I386 directory. Your I386 directory still contains the Windows setup files belonging to whatever version of Windows you had when you first bought your PC/laptop.

1.Download Windows XP service pack 2 from http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...displaylang=en Save it anywhere you like except in the C:\XPSETUP folder. For the purpose of this tutorial, I will assume you saved it as C:\XPSP2.EXE, that is, in the root folder with the filename "XPSP2.EXE".
    2. You will need to update the C:\XPSETUP\I386 folder to contain the updated SP 2 files. As a side benefit, the service pack 2 updater will also create a few files (including setup.exe) in the C:\XPSETUP folder. This process of integrating the service pack files into the original XP or XP SP 1 is known as "slipstreaming".

• To slipstream SP 2, first open up a command prompt. To do this, click the Start menu, select the Run menu item, and enter the words "cmd". Click the OK button. A black command prompt window will open.
    • Enter the following line into the window and press the ENTER key.
    • C:\XPSP2 /integrate:C:\XPSETUP
    • After the program finishes, you can close the command prompt window. If you look into your XPSETUP folder, you will notice a few new files there.

5.At this point, the C:\XPSETUP directory contains all the files that will be copied to your Windows Setup CDROM. Don't worry if the directory does not contain files like "setup.exe" which you see on the retail CDROMs. You won't need it for a fresh install from the bootable CDROM. Note: You will only have "setup.exe" if you had to slipstream Service Pack 2 as mentioned earlier. The Service Pack 2 slipstreamer creates setup.exe for you.

6.Now open the wxp10.zip file that you downloaded earlier. Simply doubleclicking it in Windows explorer should do the trick. Go into the cds directory and into wxphome (or wxppro; it doesn't matter which) directory, followed by the files directory. Drag the "w2ksect.bin" file into C:\ (the root directory/folder of drive C. Don't get creative and place it in some other directory. If you do that, ImgBurn will not be able to find c:\w2ksect.bin later.