Thread: Low Disk Space error on HP Mini 110

Low Disk Space error on HP Mini 110

Hi am sorry if posting this query in the wrong section. I am having a HP Mini 110 laptop and was working fine till couple of days ago. But now a days, i am really annoyed of its Low Disk Space warning. Am having 160 GB solid state drive and might be having the max of 30 Gb of spaced utilized by the installed programs. Still, i deleted some stuffs and made some space but still am getting the same issue.

Some of my friends suggested me that it may be the cause of any Virus. hence i scanned my system twice but didn't found anything. Could you guys please help me out of this ? Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Re: Low Disk Space error on HP Mini 110

Which operating system and which Antivirus program are you using?

Anyways, it appears like some stuff is being downloaded on your system for the night. I’ll recommend you to do a ‘disc cleanup’, in case your laptop crashes or else you place it into hibernation mode many times, you may possibly have buildup from that.

In addition, I’ll advise you to run Malwarebytes on this laptop. And if still you are unable to find any virus just go with Nod32 after removing your Antivirus. Try out 3 to 4 Antivirus program and scan your complete system. By doing this it will be confident that there is no virus on your system.

Well, the simple way to find out the cause for this problem is an application named WinDirStat. This is what I prefer in such situations. WinDirStat is a disk usage statistics observer as well as a cleanup application for all Windows operating systems. With the help of this tool you can easily locate the unwanted files that are consuming your Hard Drive’s space. You can download WinDirStat from here.

Well, there is a little tweak by which you can stop this notification for ever, but for doing this you need to make some changes in the registry. If you are aware of Registry risk than only try this, else don't. Here is what you need to do:
    • Open Run and type REGEDIT.EXE, press Enter.
    • Now locate the following key:
      HKEY_CURRENT_USER\ Software\ Microsoft\ Windows\ CurrentVersion\ Policies\ Explorer.
    • Now, if you don’t find it there than simply right click on the right panel and create a new DWORD with the name ‘NoLowDiskSpaceChecks’.
    • Change the value of this key to 1 from 0.
    • Close the registry and reboot the system.

That’s it..

A small portion of the hard drive on the HP notebook PC is configured as a Recovery Partition. It contains the programs needed to restore the operating system of the PC to original factory condition. If a user unknowingly selects the logical D: partition and starts the backup, the Windows program copies files without checking to verify there is enough space.

To reclaim the drive space on the Recovery Partition, locate and delete the unneeded folders and files, as follows:
    • Click Start , type explorer in the search field, and click on Windows Explorer when it appears in the program list to open the explorer window.
    • Click Computer in the left panel to display the names of the drives in the right panel.
    • Double-click on the Recovery Partition, which is normally named the (D) drive, to display the folders and files in the right panel.
    • Highlight all the folders and files on the Recovery Partition, except the RECOVERY folder, and press the delete key.

You need to find out what folder is taking much of the space... Some time it could be log files and temp files which can be deleted safely..

First of all, to delete all the temp files you can use ccleaner, which you can download from www.ccleaner.com

Also, there is a tool called SequoiaView which lets you view the folder usage in images... You will know what I mean when you install it:

Both are free tools and are extremely helpful for troubleshooting low disk space..

I don't recommend removing the recovery partition if you are not comfortable to troubleshoot yourself if the system crashes...

Viruses today don't eat up disk space... I think there were such viruses decades ago.... Malicious software today do things like stealing passwords, using your bandwidth for some attacks, mailing spam, and creating ads
    Last edited by Maqbool; 28-06-2010 at 09:59 AM. Reason: External links not allowed, Removed the same.

Quote Originally Posted by Laramie View Post
    I am having a HP Mini 110 laptop and was working fine till couple of days ago. But now a days, i am really annoyed of its Low Disk Space warning. Am having 160 GB solid state drive and might be having the max of 30 Gb of spaced utilized by the installed programs. Still, i deleted some stuffs and made some space but still am getting the same issue.
    First of all disable your antivirus and confirm whether the space on your HDD remains the same or increases. This is because the majority of such programs consume plenty of space; otherwise they can disapprovingly distress your system’s performance at the time of updating. You can find out the space consumed by these programs from the Control panel > Add/Remove Programs section. Every program name consists of the amount of owed hard drive space. In case you find that the any program is hogging your HDD, think about getting any other good antivirus like AVG that consume very little space.