Thread: Grub Error 16

Grub Error 16

I have Dual Boot, Ubuntu and Vista Grub but now no longer appears in the place I get an error 16. I tried to follow this info from the ubuntu site but it changed nothing. What I want is at least able to boot Vista.

Does someone could help me?

Thank you very much for your response

Re: Grub Error 16

Get your Linux CD and boot, if you do not have important files on your Linux partition then reinstall Ubuntu (Grub repair it) otherwise I advise you to make a backup of your data by putting your hard drive on slave in another pc.

ps: there is surely another method less radical. If you have found, it will also interests me

I had this error occur sometimes back.

Dual boot (Ubuntu - ext3, Elive _RiserFS)

I booted Ubuntu recovery mode - (the text was scrolling by rapidly - I THINK it listed - hda5 umounted uncleanly, check forced)

Problem was solved. I am uncertain which filesystem/partition had the error.

If unable to boot from HD, a live CD (like DSL) and running fsck may fix the error.

Posted in hopes it will help someone in the future!

See
    https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/ub...er/342654.html

Your Ubuntu partition just needs a file system check.

The best idea is to boot your Ubuntu Live CD in your computer.

What partition number is your Ubuntu partition, (in Linux terms)?
    Is it '/dev/hda2', or '/dev/hda6' or something like that?
    Find out by taking a look with Gnome Partition Editor or run the command 'sudo fdisk -lu to check

Code:
    sudo fdisk -lu
    Then, when you know which partition number your Ubuntu partition has, run a file system check on it from the command line in your Ubuntu Live CD.
    My favorite file system checking command for checking and repairing an ext3 file system is this one,

Code:
    sudo e2fsck -C0 -p -f -v /dev/hda2
    Where: hda2 is your Ubuntu partition.
    That command is a safe one to begin with, and it will fix your file system in most cases.
    If it can't, it will tell you what's wrong and maybe even what command to run next.
    If you can't understand what it's trying to say, come back here and I or someone else around here will help you more.

What to do mean by 'rebuild' GRUB?
    GRUB has files in /boot/grub, and in several other locations in your file system.
    It is rare, but sometimes those are missing or corrupted somehow, perhaps from a faulty installation.
    They can be renewed by running the GRUB program in /usr/sbin.
    Again, to do that you need to know which is your Ubuntu partition, and what your hard drive is called in Linux terms, such as '/dev/hda', or '/dev/sda'.

The following commands need to be run with Ubuntu booted, or you will need to know how to chroot into your hard disk installed Ubuntu system from your Live CD. If your system won't boot, it is simpler to boot with Super Grub Disk and run these with Ubuntu booted.

The command to rebuild your GRUB files in /boot/grub and at the same time re-install Ubuntu's GRUB in the MBR is something like, 'sudo grub-install /dev/hda'

Code:
    sudo grub-install /dev/hda
    Where: '/dev/hda' is where you want to install GRUB's stage1 code, it can be to MBR in any hard disk, or to the boot sector of any Linux partition, normally your Ubuntu partition.

The command to rebuild your /boot/grub/menu.lst file or generate one if none exists in /boot/grub is 'sudo update-grub'

Code:
    sudo update-grub
    I don't recommend rebuilding GRUB unless you really need to, as you will lose your current GRUB settings. (Unless you make a backup of your /boot/grub/menu.lst file to some other directory, such as your /home/username folder).

Normally, the commands I just gave you are not necessary.

If you just want to re-install GRUB, it is better to use the easier and gentler 'sudo grub', 'find /boot/grub/stage2', 'root (hd0,1)', setup (hd0)', 'quit' series of commands. Those are safer.
    Here's a link about those in case you don't know them, Re-install GRUB with a GRUB shell.