Thread: Power Options Failure

Power Options Failure

HI ,all Maddox Here, i am Running Windows XP Pro SP3 on a desktop computer. I have had no other problems, recently, but yesterday I noticed the computer would not go into power saving mode. The screen saver would work.sometimes, but it never got beyond this.I opened Control Panel - Power Options and the settings looked as they should, but when I tried to save these settings I got an error message. I don't remember precisely what the error message said but in general it indicated that there was some sort of conflict. I deleted the power settings, intending to set them up fresh, but this didn't work. Now all I get is a bunch of grayed out slots where the information used to be.

What is the best way, or is there any way to recover from this error?

Thanks, Maddox

Re: Power Options Failure

SYMPTOMS
    When you try to use power management features such as Standby or Hibernate, your computer may not enter the power management state that you choose, and you may experience one or more of the following symptoms:

• Your mouse may stop responding.
    • You may be unable to open or use the Power Options tool in Control Panel.
    • You may receive the following error message:

The device driver for the device name is preventing the machine from entering Standby or Hibernation. Please close all applications and try again. If the problem persists, you may need to update the driver.

CAUSE
    This issue can occur if you are using one or more device drivers that do not implement power management functionality correctly because they are not Plug and Play or power management enabled.

RESOLUTION
    To resolve this issue, contact the manufacturer of the driver to inquire about the availability of a driver that correctly implements power management functionality.

To work around this issue, use any of the following methods:

Uninstall the Driver

• You can uninstall the driver that is associated with the device that is specified in the error message. For information about how to do so, view the documentation that is included with the appropriate device.
    • Quit Any Programs that Interfere with Power Management Functionality
    • If you can determine which programs interfere with power management functionality, you can quit these programs before you try to use power management features. Note that some third-party programs that are associated with imaging devices (such as scanners and cameras) may be more likely to interfere with power management functionality.

Mouse Is Not Responding
    If your mouse is not responding but your keyboard is still functional, restart your computer, and then use either of the preceding methods:

1. Press CTRL+ESC, and then press U.
    2. Press the UP ARROW or DOWN ARROW keys one or more times to select Restart, and then press ENTER.

hope it may help you .

Re: Power Options Failure

thanks Conrad, for your support. your method really works thanks a lot for your efforts.