Thread: Boot manager will not load XP

Post Boot manager will not load XP

Hey im in great need of help.
    I have a pc that orignally had XP on one hardrive and i bought another and installed Vista. It worked great and i could select my OS from boot manager until i had troubles with XP and reinstalled the OS.

I cleared the original XP hardrive and installed XP again.
    Now when i booted the boot manager was not there and my pc booted what ever Hardive was selected in primary in my BIOS settings..
    I worked out that i needed 'easyBCD', so i did so and installed this sofware and again got my bootmanger up and running.

Now i can select ethier Windows Vista or XP but i can only boot into Vista.
    When i select to boot into XP my computer just restarts..weird i know!
    The only way i can get into my XP OS is to set my XP hdd as the default booting device in BIOS, this means to access Vista i must do the same and change the hardrive to first priority.

So when the Vista is first priority, boot manager starts but will not let me boot to XP and when XP is the first priority hdd i do not get a boot manager screen at all and it boots straight into XP..

I hope this makes sense, spent days looking for an answer..this is my only hope.

Thanks, all help really appreciated.

Boot manager will not load XP

Hi

I'm afraid that won't work: every computer has its own different BCD and boot.ini depending on the partition order, operating system install order, and many more settings.

What you need to do:
    In EasyBCD (from Vista) change the drive letter for the XP entry to the letter of the XP drive as Vista sees it.
    Test.
    If it doesn't work:
    Open XP's boot.ini, and change the disk(x) parameter to disk(y) where `y` is equal to `x` plus one.

Good Luck

Re: Boot manager will not load XP

Try booting from the Vista DVD and using the startup repair option. If possible, before you do the repair, delete the partition that held XP before and leave it as unallocated space until the problem is fixed. You can delete the partition from Disk Management in Vista (unless it still sees it as a system partition, in which case you will need a third-party app runing outside of Vista).

Re: Boot manager will not load XP

Quote Originally Posted by Erskine View Post
    Hi

I'm afraid that won't work: every computer has its own different BCD and boot.ini depending on the partition order, operating system install order, and many more settings.

What you need to do:
    In EasyBCD (from Vista) change the drive letter for the XP entry to the letter of the XP drive as Vista sees it.
    Test.
    If it doesn't work:
    Open XP's boot.ini, and change the disk(x) parameter to disk(y) where `y` is equal to `x` plus one.

Good Luck
    Hey i would like to try this but what do you mean by change the disk (x) parameter to disk (y) etc.. sorry i don't really understand could you possible explain this a bit more..
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by shreeda92 View Post
    Hey i would like to try this but what do you mean by change the disk (x) parameter to disk (y) etc.. sorry i don't really understand could you possible explain this a bit more..
    Thanks
    So you want to edit the boot file in XP the you should see this link below might be it will help you
    http://support.microsoft.com/default...b;en-us;289022

Thanks
    To edit the file Boot.ini, you can use Windows Explorer and double-click Boot.ini, or you can open any text editor to edit the file.

If you change the path to the Windows boot partition, edit the entries for both the default path and the operating system path. If you change only one, a new choice is added to the boot loader screen with the default designator next to it.

To understand the parameters see this
    Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 (3.6GHz, 1.44v) with TR Ultra 120E,
    Gigabyte GA-EX38-DQ6 v1.1, 4GB G.Skill PI 1066 5-5-5-15 2.1v ,
    Powercolor ATI HD4870X2 2GB, 4x SATA2 500GB Samsung HDD RAID 10,
    Creative X-Fi, Dell 2408WFP A01 24" LCD,
    Acer P221w 22" LCD,
    Corsair HX-1000 Watt PSU,
    Vista 64-bit.

Hey im in great need of help.
    I have a pc that orignally had XP on one hardrive and i bought another and installed Vista. It worked great and i could select my OS from boot manager until i had troubles with XP and reinstalled the OS.

I cleared the original XP hardrive and installed XP again.
    Now when i booted the boot manager was not there and my pc booted what ever Hardive was selected in primary in my BIOS settings..
    I worked out that i needed 'easyBCD', so i did so and installed this sofware and again got my bootmanger up and running.

Now i can select ethier Windows Vista or XP but i can only boot into Vista.
    When i select to boot into XP my computer just restarts..weird i know!
    The only way i can get into my XP OS is to set my XP hdd as the default booting device in BIOS, this means to access Vista i must do the same and change the hardrive to first priority.

So when the Vista is first priority, boot manager starts but will not let me boot to XP and when XP is the first priority hdd i do not get a boot manager screen at all and it boots straight into XP..

I hope this makes sense, spent days looking for an answer..this is my only hope.

Thanks, all help really appreciated.

May be this will help you How to disable auto reboot in windows XP?