Thread: Is Linux better than Windows XP

Is Linux better than Windows XP

I have Windows XP operating System on my system. I want to switch to Linux. What I want to ask is, is Linux better than Windows XP? I am asking in terms of simplicity and also in looks. Is Linux user friendly like Windows? Can anyone explain me?

Re: Is Linux better than Windows XP

Linux is the most stable OS available around. You could leave a Linux desktop on for a month and still you will not notice any performance difference whereas Windows would start crashing even if left on for 2 days.

However, it completely depends on your usage. If you want it for just personal use and don't want to play high end games, then Linux is best. But if you are a hard core gamer, then stick with your XP.

Linux uses a better file system than Windows. Windows uses NTFS whereas Linux uses ext3 and many others. Linux manages your resources in a better way by allocating the memory and utilizing the processor more efficiently than Windows.

Windows variants based on the NT kernel (Windows NT, 2000, XP, 2003, Vista) are technically much more stable than earlier versions (95, 98, 98 SE, ME). Installing unsigned or beta drivers can lead to decreased system stability.

The kernel inherits the stability of UNIX due to its modular architecture. Linux terminal emulators and front-end “Window Managers” stabilities vary widely, but are generally stable. Because Linux can use a text based system if the graphics system fails, the graphics system can be easily restarted following a crash without a whole system reboot. Most Linux distributions also provide a Live Distro, which can be used to repair a completely unbootable OS.

I have not used Mac personally. Presently use XP Pro. Much more forgiving when prior windows versions. I am reluctant to use Vista because software used from insurance & annunity companies have compatability issues with Vista. My business associates who gone to Vista have horror stories compared to XP.