Become a Member!
Forgot your username/password?
Register Tags Active Topics RSS Search Mark Forums Read

Sponsored Links

NTVDM.EXE has stopped working

Operating Systems

Old 02-11-2008

sad NTVDM.EXE has stopped working

I don't know what to do about trying to fix this problem but everytime I try to play any cd rather it's music dvd or a game I always get this

NTVDM.EXE has stopped working

I don't have a vista cd because the company that sold my mom this computer downloaded vista on this computer for her. The only cd I do have that came with this computer is something called Operating system disc and Eztune( no clue on what exactly it is) anyways I can someone people help me fix my computer.

I do have a full version of XP and I wonder if I should put XP in and leave vista alone.

Old 03-11-2008

Re: NTVDM.EXE has stopped working

Do you ever run any old programs or games? This usually happens after using a 16 bit program/ game.

Try this program.

CLEANUP! version 4.52 TEMP FILE CLEANING

Please download Cleanup! and install it. You will use this later.

*NOTE* Cleanup deletes EVERYTHING out of temporary folders and does not make backups.

Open Cleanup! by double-clicking the icon on your desktop (or from the Start > All Programs menu).
Set the program up as follows:

Click "Options..."
Move the arrow down to "Custom CleanUp!"
Put a check next to the following (Make sure nothing else is checked!):
Empty Recycle Bins
Delete Cookies
Delete Prefetch files (if present)
Cleanup! All Users
Click on the Temporary Files tab and uncheck the box for Scan drives for files matching if its checked.
Click OK
Press the CleanUp! button to start the program and reboot when prompted.
Old 03-11-2008

Some history would help, like what have you installed prior to this problem?
Ntvdm, the Virtual dos machine, is used to run 16bit applications, so that is where you should concentrate on looking. I thought I read somewhere that 16bit apps will not be supported in Vista
Old 03-11-2008

16-bit apps are not supported in any of the x64 operating systems, including Vista. I don't think that applies to x86 however.

TechArena Community > Software > Operating Systems
Tags: , ,