Become a Member!
Forgot your username/password?
Tags Active Topics RSS Search Mark Forums Read

Sponsored Links

need help with an OSD lockout problem

Operating Systems

Old 02-11-2008

OMFG need help with an OSD lockout problem

I have an Hp w1907 monitor and I'm getting a black volume box flashing on my screen which I can't get rid of. I thought I had it licked last night but no now its switched to OSD Lockout , now its switching back and forth both messages whats going on and how can I fix it? I'm running Windows Vista for home on this machine a Gateway. Help would be greatly appreciated Brenda in NC

Old 03-11-2008

Re: need help with an OSD lockout problem

Hold the MENU button for ten seconds to unlock or lock the OSD.
Old 03-11-2008

It's most likely just a button physically stuck in the "pressed down" position. Opening the case to unstick the button would definitely do the trick, and you may not even have to do that -- just a bit of judiciously applied 3-in-1 oil might be all you need.
Old 03-11-2008

I'd agree, but try running something slim in around the button's borders first. You can often unstick a button by poking around with a slim piece of firm plastic. Also there's a slim possibility that you could fix the problem by unplugging the monitor from the wall (or, more likely, the power strip) for a minute or two.
Old 03-11-2008

OSD usually stands for On Screen Display. I'm guessing that somehow you've been locked out (denied access) to change various computer settings. If you have your owner's manual for the computer, look for information about the On Screen Menu (which is normally how you'd access the various on screen displays) and it should tell you about the OSD Lockout. The volume problem is related to the lockout problem. So if your owner's manual doesn't cover this, go to your computer manufacturer's website and look for a link to support, or customer service, or frequently asked questions (FAQs), etc. These links usually have other links to email, call, or live chat with tech support. Hope this helps a bit.
Old 03-11-2008
Yogesh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devasis View Post
Hold the MENU button for ten seconds to unlock or lock the OSD.
This is correct. I found this in one of the HP manuals,

OSD Lock-out ? The OSD can be enabled or disabled by pressing and holding the Menu button on the front panel for 10 seconds. If the OSD is locked, the warning message ?OSD Lock-out? appears for 10 seconds.

If the OSD is locked, press and hold the Menu button for 10 seconds to unlock the OSD.

If the OSD is unlocked, press and hold the Menu button for 10 seconds to lock the OSD.
Old 04-11-2008

thanks to everyone its a new monitor but it sure had me upset for a while I copied everybodys help answers and I got it fixed thanks to all Brenda
Old 04-11-2008

ThumbsUp Re: need help with an OSD lockout problem

Don't know if first message went thru but thanks to all my new tech friends I got it fixed. Brenda
Old 12-04-2009

Sorry for the bump (looks really bad since it's my first post too) but if anyone else runs into this problem there are four easy at this page:

Cheers.

Last edited by Yogesh : 13-04-2009 at 05:25 PM. Reason: External link removed.
Old 13-04-2009
Yogesh

@ theFakeGeek
External links are not allowed. You could have posted the solution directly here. The link has been removed.
Old 09-08-2011

Please can any one help?

My monitor suddenly came on the other night and said (going to sleep) it keep flashing this msg for over an hour (I wasnt using it at the time!) so on the end I just turned off the monitor.

Since then, I keep getting a msg saying OSD locked and I cant see what Im doing on the screen (I can still use it but this white box is really getting on my nurves!) Also another box comes up, just the "colour, contrast, menu" but I cant click on it to get out!

Hope you can help,

Jules (dumb blond!!)
Old 09-08-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by juliewaglet View Post
Please can any one help?

My monitor suddenly came on the other night and said (going to sleep) it keep flashing this msg for over an hour (I wasnt using it at the time!) so on the end I just turned off the monitor.

Since then, I keep getting a msg saying OSD locked and I cant see what Im doing on the screen (I can still use it but this white box is really getting on my nurves!) Also another box comes up, just the "colour, contrast, menu" but I cant click on it to get out!
I too had the same problem and what worked for me was to get the monitor to not go to sleep by unplugging it from the computer. Once you are in OSD you can try a factory reset. Next a computer will be needed to be hooked up and running for this step - go into management or something and find where to switch the sources and switch it to DVI or VGA depending on what you have your computer hooked up to it with. If it still does not turn on hook up another monitor to your computer (assuming you have two inputs) and set the monitors settings manually.

TechArena Community > Software > Operating Systems
Tags: ,