Thread: new xp pro disc

new xp pro disc

I found out i have a bootleg disc of xp pro. I bought a new xp pro disc. Can i install over old xp pro or do i have to start with a clean hard drive and lose everything on hard drive. Windows will not validate my xp pro and i cant get updates. ron

Re: new xp pro disc

I dont know what do u mean by Bootleg disc ?

if it is bootable disc
    Just insert it and if it is of newer version than the one installed just windows can be upgraded without a fresh install

if it is older version than the one running
    Backup ur data Format & do fresh install
    if windows does not get activated over internet call the MS customer care(4 genuine XP)

They will activate it for sure..
    I did it it 2 months ago...

to drkrack, my sony computer came with xp pro on the hard drive. i tried to get xp updates but they said they could not validate my xp pro. I bought a new xp disc. Can i put the disc on the hard drive,and will i lose everything that i have on the hard drive. I dont know what im doing, as you can probably tell.

Quote Originally Posted by b56n View Post
    to drkrack, my sony computer came with xp pro on the hard drive. i tried to get xp updates but they said they could not validate my xp pro. I bought a new xp disc. Can i put the disc on the hard drive,and will i lose everything that i have on the hard drive. I dont know what im doing, as you can probably tell.
    Well, you can call M$ and try to convince them about the update problem with the OS that came with the Laptop or it may be that the OS that came preinstalled might not be genuine or so (ask the retailer from where you bought the laptop). Now, if you want to install with a new xp disc then you will have to format and start from the begining and if you want to save any data then backup first in some other drive and then reinstall the OS.

Hope that helps.

ThumbsUp Re: new xp pro disc

Hi
    I got your problem
    2 options depends upon u
    1. If u dont want to reinstall... then u can retain the same XP and make it Genuine by CHANGING the PRODUCT KEY of the installed XP !!!
    How to do that
    as nitesh Suggested talk to your retailer and ask him the xp he gave is it pirated ? if not pirated talk & try to convince the MS customer care that it is Genuine and it will be done !!

Otherwise change the product Key of the Installed XP with the Genuine XP u have bought that is notedown the product key on the new disc and go through the steps in this article ....
    http://pcsupport.about.com/od/produc...hangexpkey.htm

2. If u want to reinstall , Back up the data , Boot with Genuine XP CD format C drive and Reinstall

hope tht helps u

unless your xp pro is the exact same build as on the pirated xp pro,changing your key won't help.

back up your data and reformat.