Thread: Bootup stops at acpitabl.dat in Windows Xp 64 bit.

Bootup stops at acpitabl.dat in Windows Xp 64 bit.

I'm having problems installing the new XP 64 bit edition OS. I have an AMD Athlon 64 3000+ with an Asus K8V Deluxe motherboard. I downloaded to a floppy the proper SATA 64 bit drivers for my VIA controller from Asus' Web site. When the initial blue setup page appears I hit "F6" and choose the forementioned drivers. The install appears to be successful, although I do get prompted once during the install that a driver hasn't been certifited and it asks if I want to continue installing. Of course, I choose yes, but I've
    never seen this during an OS install before. When the install is complete the PC reboots and then blue screens. When running in safe mode I see that it never gets passed acpitabl.dat. I haven't confirmed that my BIOS is up to date so that could be the problem. Has anyone else expierenced this?

Sounds like a bad driver. Try going to the VIA website(www.viaarena.com) and downloading a newer one. I have a hunch that the one on ASUS's web site may be out of date -- I know they haven't managed to keep up with the drivers for my A8V Mobo. Failing that, check www.planetamd64.com for a driver.
    Something definitely changed between RC1 and release that has affected the
    SATA drivers and we've seen some similar issues from other users where the
    drivers hadn't been updated to handle the change.

Thanks. I will try the driver from Via's site and see what happens.

I'm having the exact same problem, but with a Promise SATA driver. Where's the best place to find these drivers? The Promise site is
    rather difficult to navigate, so I wondered if there's a site that is listing drivers??

Can we expect Windows Update (32 or 64-bit?) to offer driver updates, as I expect momentum to gether now with releases by the numerous hardware vandors.

try PlanetAMD64.com. They seem to have the best selection of drivers, and I
    think I remember seeing Promise drivers there.

I had this problem as well. I started disabling hardware one-by-one while in safe mode until I could start up normally. Once I disabled the display adapter I was able to boot up normally. The display adapter is an NVidia

GeForce6600GT. At that point I installed the drivers from NVidia's website and didn't have any other problems booting up.

I don't know if this was the actual problem, though. On a previous install I had the same problem. I installed NVidia's drivers for the graphics card while in Safe Mode but then was unable to even boot into Safe Mode.

It was actually hanging on acpitabl.dat.
    I had the same problem. What I have done so far is back up critical data. restore the MBR and boot from a backup. When I restarted I booted up into safe mode. It looked like it was going to hang again, but then it worked. In safe mode I went to do a chkdsk /r on C: and D:. Right now it is hanging on D: and it said it will chk drive C on next boot up.
    Drive D is fat32 and the first partition. After booting into saftmode I tried to copy files from Drive D. It was too slow so I stoped it. I then deleted the partition and reformated it.
    I then restarted in normal mode. It started to do a check disk and while I was typing this it rebooted agin. I di not get to see any messages. I waited for the harddrive to stop and rebooted into command mode. typed chkdsk c: /r again and watched. Weell it is going through all five steps. I think I will be good to go here.

Re: Bootup stops at acpitabl.dat in Windows Xp 64 bit.

Also had the acpitabl.dat hang on Windows xp64.

I'm running a Supermicro H8DCE motherboard with dual Opteron 275 and 6GB ECC/Reg mem, two Samsung 250GB harddrives in soft SATA RAID on the MB controller and a Samsung DVD WriteMaster model SH-S183 (also connected to SATA interface on motherboard). Graphics card is Nvidia Quadro FX3450.

This SATA DVD Writer causes Windows xp64 to hang both on install and on bootup (stopping at acpitabl.dat). Unplugging it physically allows me to install and boot at any time, independent of wether ACPI is turned on or off in BIOS. This is most likely to be a driver handling problem, following the original Windows XP Pro x64 software release.

nVidia should be able to fix this in an update of the nForce Pro chipset driver package