Become a Member!
Forgot your username/password?
Register Tags Active Topics RSS Search Mark Forums Read

Sponsored Links

Number Lock doesn't remain Locked after Shutdown

Operating Systems

Old 25-10-2008

Number Lock doesn't remain Locked after Shutdown

One of our computers at work is running Windows XP Pro SP2, P4 3GHz, 256 RAM. It uses a Microsoft MultiMedia Keyboard 1.0a with a F Lock (Function Lock) and Num Lock (Number Lock) keys that refuse to stay in their locked position after a reboot or shutdown. I've updated the drivers
and still have this issue. It's not a problem to hit them each time at start-up ... but it is kind of annoying if you forget to do this each time. Any ideas how to make XP keep these settings?

Thanks

Old 25-10-2008

Re: Number Lock doesn't remain Locked after Shutdown

http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_tweaks.htm and click on Set Numlock State On or Off at Startup and also Control the F Lock Key Functionality State/Status
Old 25-10-2008

Change the setting in the bios.
Old 27-10-2008

Well I tried first to check the BIOS and it is listed there as having the Number Lock maintained. This didn't solve it, as Windows XP turns it off during boot-up. So then I went to the website below and used the file that was there. I tried it both as "enabled" and as "disabled" and both ways still did not good. Windows XP somehow overrides the BIOS setting at boot-up. And I watched carefully at shutdown and the Caps Lock, Number Lock and Function Lock keys all are deactivated at shutdown.

So ... Windows XP is certainly the culprit here. But where/how can I access these setting to stop it from overriding the BIOS ... since BIOS clearly shows it is turned on and stays on just until about the first 5 seconds of Win XPs initial loading.
Old 31-10-2008

've just run into the same problem. Thought it was our GPO, but no dice. The VBS script provided might work, if our infosec team didn't find it necessary to lock our vbs scripts!

I noticed, in the registry, you can turn on num lock by changing "HKEY_CURRENT_USER, Control Panel, Keyboard, InitialKeyboardIndicators" to "2", but, alas, when I reboot, mine resets back to "0" (all off).

Still a problem for me, too! If anyone has an idea!
Old 01-11-2008

i am having the same problem, the bios has the num lock as on but once windows start to load the login screen it turns off the num lock. how do i get it to stay on????

TechArena Community > Software > Operating Systems
Tags: , , , ,